1000mb/s compatible?

Gigabyte426

I've got a 100mb/s ethernet card right now and it has worked fine, but now I'm going to have a super high speed connection at the U of M this year and am wondering if anyone knows if their cat5 outlets would support a 1000mb/s transfer rate? (My guess is they do, but just making sure)

DCIScouts

VIP Member
aka, the card still should support either the 10 or 100 Mb speed that UofM has on their network... I think it's 10, a buddy of mine was their a few years ago, and I think that's what he said they were at, but they could have updated by now...

mgoldb2

VIP Member
kof2000 said:
the speed is on the card not the cable.

yeah but if you have a Fast Ethernet, 100baseT cable then it does not matter what speed the card going at because the cable wont transfer it that fast.

The cable most definally makes a difference.

If you want to go at gigibyte speed you need a) a nic card that can go that speed b) service provider that provide that speed C)Gigabit Ethernet (over copper), 1000baseT cable.

All three is needed.

Most college I do believe supplies only 100baseT cables and that most likly the speed you going at.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
service provider that provide that speed
If yer using commercial gigabit yer most likely gonna be needing fibre lines :)

Cat5e and Cat6 cables are good for consumer gigabit :)

Archangel

VIP Member
mgoldb2 said:
yeah but if you have a Fast Ethernet, 100baseT cable then it does not matter what speed the card going at because the cable wont transfer it that fast.

well. i dont think u said it quite right. because in a normal cable, you'll get a lot of destorsion because of the high frequency. (capacaties between the single copper wires themselves) so the signal would be useless, however, the signal hould have the same speed ;)
(correct me if im wrong svp :) )

Gigabyte426

Ok, a friend told me today that only LAN connections can use 1 gig transfer rates and not internet connections.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
well. i dont think u said it quite right. because in a normal cable, you'll get a lot of destorsion because of the high frequency. (capacaties between the single copper wires themselves) so the signal would be useless, however, the signal hould have the same speed
(correct me if im wrong svp
Yeah i had a chat with him about that hehe .... you are absolutely correct: if you want to push gigabit xfers on copper ... 5e and 6 are the route to go

Ok, a friend told me today that only LAN connections can use 1 gig transfer rates and not internet connections.
Internet can use 1Gigabit too but generally are "slightly" expensive hehe .... for a LAN connection you'll need both ends to be gigabit as well as the xfer medium (be it crossover or hub/switch/router to be gigabit)