1055T or I5 760?

TEKKA

Hey guys which Cpu would be my best option?

AMD PHENOM II X6 SIX-CORE 1055T CPU, 2.80 GHz, , 9MB Cache, Sockets AM3, 125W

Intel i5-760 Core i5 CPU, Quad Core 2.80 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 2.5 GT/s, Socket LGA1156, Turbo Boost, 45nm, 95W

Or even something else?

Thanks guys

CardboardSword

Well I've got the 1055T myself, and have it sitting pretty at 3.8Ghz hardly above stock voltage, but the only reason I got that was because I was already on an AM3 mobo. I've heard of i5's hitting 4ghz like a joke, especially with good cooling. The extra 2 cores don't make a huge difference. Not yet anyway. I'm sure it'll be faster overall once the software catches up in terms of threads, but in the meantime, I'm pretty sure the i5 is the better purchase at this stage in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I love my shiny new hecta-core. That's just my take on what the performance is like now. Basically the 1055T will be better later, the i5 will be better now.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id go for the i5 and get a decent cooler,what CardboardSword said is probably right that the 6 core will have the edge in the future but think about it,by the time games and more apps take advantage of 6 cores the 1055t will be so outdated...so id just get whats good for now,nothings every really future proof.

TEKKA

OKay, Thanks guys...

Im thinking i'll just as you's said, go for the I5...

Would an I7 870 be a big improvement? Enough to warrant almost an extra $100? AU.

Drenlin

The 1055T will go on a 790FX/890FX board, so there's lots of room to upgrade there. It's plenty powerful for today's games, and will perform better in later games with better multithreading. Seems like the better choice to me...?

TEKKA

Thanks for your reply mate, what do you think about the I7 870 in comparison to those two?

Leopold Butters

I would not buy socket 1156 at all. socket 1155 is coming out and is a lot better than socket 1156, you are just buying into a dead socket if you go with 1156.

TEKKA

Hmm Interesting Nikole957's post is exactly the same as what i said in the 2nd last post, last page..

Anyway's,

Thanks for your help guys,

Im going I7-950 and 6850GPU :D

BurningSkyline

The 1055T is faster in pretty much anything that uses more than 4 cores. In terms of your PC being more futureproof, get the 1055T.

2048Megabytes

How expensive are Intel's new Socket 1155 Processors going to be? Are they going to have some products around the price range of the i5 760 Quad-Core?

maroon1