1055T: Should I Use Artic Silver?

Slacker7

Building a new gaming system for my brother-in-law and his cpu is a 1055T. There will be no overclocking with this system whatsoever. He lives too far away for me to ocing his hardware only to have issues crop up because I just can't drop everything and go to his home and fix issues.

He is also computer illiterate as well!

Anyway, since this system will be running at stock specs I was wondering if you think the thermal paste will be fine that comes with the 1055T or should I go ahead and remove said paste and then use artic silver?

Thanks.

linkin

VIP Member
Go ahead and use the arctic silver. I assume you are using the stock cooler as well? Maybe invest in a cheap cooler as well.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If he is not overclocking and the case has descent air flow. The stock cooler and compound will be fine.

dave1701

I'd use the artic silver, just becuase of that one hot day next summer when your Air Conditioning fails. Besides, it costs like $2.

Slacker7

If he is not overclocking and the case has descent air flow. The stock cooler and compound will be fine.

Appreciate all the replies. The case is a HAF-932 and if you know anything about this case the side fan is large enough for a Cessna 150. :D

Air flow will not be an issue.

BurningSkyline

Honestly, Its better to be safe than sorry... Use some rubbing alcohol or something to get the Old thermal paste off and put some AS5 on the processor. The heatsink will spread it out nicely. (Hey everybody, how much thermal paste do you use? the size of a BB?)

bomberboysk

Honestly, Its better to be safe than sorry... Use some rubbing alcohol or something to get the Old thermal paste off and put some AS5 on the processor. The heatsink will spread it out nicely. (Hey everybody, how much thermal paste do you use? the size of a BB?)

Stock thermal paste will be fine for OP's usage.

BB to a Pea sized drop, depends on the viscosity of the thermal interface material you are using, design of the hsf, mounting pressure, etc.

tikka

In my opinion get a quiet cooler, even if its running stock speed. I got 1055T and I have never in my whole life seen such a loud stock cooler. It sometimes wnet to 5000 RPM, so if you want your friend to stay sane, please buy a quiet cooler for the person.