105C Athlon X2 5000+ (bent CPU pins)

vonfeldt7

I recently took the heatsink off (crappy Dell heatsink) off of my Athlon X2 5000+ (2.6GHz), which is not unusual, I've done it a few times before with no negative effects. I took the heatsink off again and this time, the CPU came up with it, and I bent 5-10 pins. I [somehow] managed to bend them back, and it still works.

The only problem, is that one core shows a temp of 90C-105C (the other core shows normal temps). Does anyone know why it's doing this...or what I can do (if anything) to fix it?

I clean the CPU/HSF and re-apply AC5 every time I take off the HSF.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Sounds like when those pins were bent the cpu is not sitting down in the cpu socket evenly seeing a gap around one area where there's an air space between cpu and sink. If that corner is raised up the gap would be on the opposite corner exposing the chip there preventing the necessary heat transfer.

vonfeldt7

The CPU is seated correctly, as well as the Heatsink.

The heatsink is barely warm to the touch. I'm assuming (and hoping) that this is just a sensor problem.

PC eye

banned
That would be the other thought if one or more of the pins isn't making a good contact. 90C would have likely cooked the cpu faster then you could reply by this time. What are you using to see temps with? Are you looking at the hardware monitor or a software?

PC eye

banned
Here I simply found that PC Wizard 2008 of course showing core temps as well as the cpu was a bit closer to the hardware monitor. Since SpeedFan kept showing drive temps down under 30C I no longer needed it.

While PC Wizard is generally good for most it can still have problems being a software not hardwired means of reading the temps. But one core seeing that wide a difference over the other suggests something arcing giving off false readings to the board's own sensors and simply being reported by those two.

vonfeldt7

vonfeldt7

Well I found out why it's been going so slow...apparently I did mess something up...CPUZ/Bios shows my Core Speed as 800MHz...rather than the stock 2600MHz.

Any clue what's going on?

CORE SPEED: 800MHz
MULTIPLIER: X4.0
BUS SPEED: 200MHz
HT LINK: 400MHz

Last edited:

Motoxrdude

I had this same problem when I bent the pins on an old celeron. It ran at almost half the speed. I would take off the CPU again and see if all the pins are straight and not completely bent.

PC eye

banned
That stinks when you lack the hardware monitor section on a more recent model board. But when bending the pins and then reinserting the cpu there you probably stretched the small holes for each of the ones bent now seeing only one core running. That was what was meant by arching earlier if making only partial contact inside those.