chopficaro

i want to get 1066 ram for a super fast computer, but ive been told that in order to use it to its full potential, i need to overclock an fsb to 2133, and ive also been told that there are no fsbs in existence that will oc that much. SO WHO LIED?

Cleric7x9

1066 RAM really runs at 533mhz, and you would want a 533 mhz CPU FSB to get a 1:1 ration (arguably the best match). 533 is not unheard of, but if you want to go that high you will need a cool CPU and a great CPU cooler.

Timo

Well you are referring to me, because I said that. I meant total FSB which to me would be Quadpumped (seeing Intels have Quadpumped FSB's) and the total would have to be 2132. The Mhz of the FSB (not Quadpumped/total) would have to be 533Mhz indeed.

You'd have to up the voltages of both the CPU as well as the NB and maybe even up the voltage of the RAM to get it more stable. 533 is quite high...

Sorry for my bad explanation before, I should've explained more ;)

EDIT: This is what I said exactly:

You're ram should run half the speed of the Quadpumped FSB if it's DDR2. Any more and you won't notice the difference (with Intels). So if you want to use the full extend of those 1066mhz.. You'd have to run an Quadpumped FSB of 2132... Which would mean your FSB would be 2132/4= 533... That's quite high.

So, I did explain correct but perhaps too difficult? I said your FSB should be: 2132/4. So FSB = 2132/4 --> FSB = 533

I did however forgot a "Quadpumped" in the beginning of my first sentence (it's in Italics now).

Last edited:

Timo

Depends on how good your motherboard is, but I'd take one anyway (and blow one or two casefans over the motherboard to make sure it actually cools as well).