1075T X6 vs 970 X4?

kyle787

Hi,

This is my first post so go easy. I am looking to get a new high performance computer for work, I need it to run programs smoothly allowing me to multitask without any problems. I will be running multiple monitors and 1080p resolution. I will be mostly running programs like photoshop, dreamweaver and other adobe products at the same time.

I have found two computers that are identical except the CPUs. One is running the AMD Phenom II 970 X4 and 3.5 GHz and the other one is running AMD PHENOM II 1075T X6 and 3.0 GHz.

What do you think would be a better fit for me?

Other info about the computers:
AM3 MOTHERBOARD
6GB DDR-3 1333MHZ PC-10600
1000GB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB CACHE
HD PCI-Express 1080p Video Card ONBOARD

Thank you so much for your time.

kdfresh09

personaly, i think the 1075 six core at 3Ghz would be better suited for you. sure, the x 4 has a 500mhz speed increase over the x 6, but with th x 6 you have 2 additional cores runing at a full 3Ghz. and since your going to be using adobe products which utilize pretty much as many cores as you can give it, the x 6 will bring your work time down more than the x 4.

kdfresh09

go for the 1075t. youll be greatful you did when your projects are finishing quicker than they would with the x 4. plus if you get a aftermarket motherboard in the future, you can always overclock it to or beyond the x 4.

SslagleZ28

anyoen know exactly how far you can overclock the 1075T on air? Oh and honestly theres no need to spend what they want for the 970 you can overclock the 955 BE just as far.

CardboardSword

Well my 1055T hits 4Ghz on a relatively cheap motherboard, so I'd imagine the 1075T would be from a slightly higher bin and hit about the same or better.

Drenlin

anyoen know exactly how far you can overclock the 1075T on air? Oh and honestly theres no need to spend what they want for the 970 you can overclock the 955 BE just as far.

Actually, the 970/975 can do a little better than the 955. I'm not sure it's enough to be worth the price difference, though.

CardboardSword

Im at 4.4 with the 955, how much better can the 970/75 go, on air? Just curious

Yeah you lucked out bud. I'm jealous. :p The CPB (Core performance boost) isn't exactly phenomenal. Its ok if you leave it at stock settings but it needs some more work I think. If it's running at 3.7Ghz all the time, then something isn't right. It should only do that for some of the cores, in the case of the full 3.7 then it should only be doing it for one. If you're idling it should be at stock or below if CnQ is on. I've also heard that the difference between the binning of the BE x4s is pretty negligible. You stand better odds of getting a golden chip with the more expensive model, but its hardly worth the price increase as they're the same CPU just with a higher multi.

SslagleZ28

I've been trying for the last week to hit a 4.5 stable overclock but its not happening. Do you think water cooling could get me higher? It driving me nuts. I have no idea why I want 4.5 lol I just kinda do.

Screenshot57.jpg

Last edited:

ScottALot

Water cooling won't get you the percent increase that it gives to intel's side, but it'll definitely help and possibly get you a multiplier or two.

The 1075T will also hold its value longer than the X4.

CardboardSword

Water cooling probably won't make a huge difference unless you're hitting really high temps. It certainly wouldn't be worth it to get the extra 100mhz either :p I know exactly where you're coming from though. I really wanted to have a 4Ghz daily OC, but I've decided to let it go. I'm actually down to 3.5Ghz even for daily use just because it keeps my ram at 1333 and makes everything nice and even. If I ever found any actual need to clock it higher I will do so, but for now there's nothing I can really throw at this thing to make it stumble. :D

Drenlin

^ I'm in the same boat, I think my 635 will probably hit ~3.5 or so if I really try, but I've yet to see anything that requires more than stock speeds.

I've had it stable enough for a super pi 1m run at 3.9, though...definitely a good chip for a C2 athlon.

SslagleZ28

^ I'm in the same boat, I think my 635 will probably hit ~3.5 or so if I really try, but I've yet to see anything that requires more than stock speeds.

I've had it stable enough for a super pi 1m run at 3.9, though...definitely a good chip for a C2 athlon.

I think my problem is I cant leave anything well enough alone. See what I can push things too is kinda my personality i guess, I modded the crap out of my car, the samethings going to happen with my truck, modding and pushing the envelope are who I am, if i know the cpu can hit 4.4 im gonna get it there lol