12 threads isnt enough anymore.

G80FTW

When I first invested into this 970, I bought it specifically for its 6 cores not particularly its performance per core. I do alot of photo/video/audio editing which I figured would make great use of a 12 thread CPU. And until now, I didnt really think photoshop was really using all of CPUs power. I do alot in photoshop normally, but tonight I was just bored and took alot of 14MP images into one image I was working on and started scaling and modifying them. Soon enough, I started to see my computer drag along. So I opened up task manager and it turns out, it is indeed making use of all my CPU has to offer:

Having run into this "problem" I now feel that 6 cores isnt enough. And Im really not looking at AMDs 8 cores either if they are half as fast as what I got now.

So now Im looking to my next upgrade having more cores. Anyone know if Intel has a 10+ core desktop processor in the works?

G80FTW

A intel 10-core is also releasing this year I thought.

I looked at broadwell and skylake and from what i read they are only gonna be dual core and quad core. Im also not sure about getting a xeon processor, dont they require different chipsets? I want something that will also be good with gaming.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
I looked at broadwell and skylake and from what i read they are only gonna be dual core and quad core. Im also not sure about getting a xeon processor, dont they require different chipsets? I want something that will also be good with gaming.

I googled a bit, and it seems like I meant the new Xeons... Sorry mate.

G80FTW

I googled a bit, and it seems like I meant the new Xeons... Sorry mate.

The xeons are the same architecture right? Arent they designed for servers? Dont they normally run on different sockets and chipsets? How are they with gaming?

spirit

Staff member
Yeah, Photoshop can be a resource hungry beast. You should try opening up multiple 24 MP images - look at the RAM usage.

tumblr_mllrrql1MM1rr8jsmo1_1280.png

8.75GB and that's about 40 full resolution images from the D3200 (took the screenshot back in April by the way).

Just having those files open wasn't really doing a lot with the CPU. If you want to CPU and RAM usage really shoot up, try running a couple of VMs and rendering a 1080p video in Premiere Pro. ;)

G80FTW

Yeah, Photoshop can be a resource hungry beast. You should try opening up multiple 24 MP images - look at the RAM usage.

tumblr_mllrrql1MM1rr8jsmo1_1280.png

8.75GB and that's about 40 full resolution images from the D3200 (took the screenshot back in April by the way).

Just having those files open wasn't really doing a lot with the CPU. If you want to CPU and RAM usage really shoot up, try running a couple of VMs and rendering a 1080p video in Premiere Pro. ;)

Well mine was running smooth until i would go to move or rescale an image then it was a crawl. Like i was running on a p3 or somethin. Isnt photoshop also supposed to make use of my gpu? Or is that just for rendering?

spirit

Staff member
Well mine was running smooth until i would go to move or rescale an image then it was a crawl. Like i was running on a p3 or somethin. Isnt photoshop also supposed to make use of my gpu? Or is that just for rendering?

Just for rendering I think and I think CS6 is picky about using GPU acceleration with some GeForce cards - at least Premiere Pro CS6 can be I think.

Don't quote me on that, I just read it when searching on the internet about GPU acceleration.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
The xeons are the same architecture right? Arent they designed for servers? Dont they normally run on different sockets and chipsets? How are they with gaming?

Xeons have an equal architecture and yes they run on a different socket(s). You're still better off with a normal i5/i7 for gaming since Xeons have pretty low clockspeeds and they aren't meant to be overclocked anyway.

G80FTW

Xeons have an equal architecture and yes they run on a different socket(s). You're still better off with a normal i5/i7 for gaming since Xeons have pretty low clockspeeds and they aren't meant to be overclocked anyway.

Well, if the Xeons are the same architecture then the IPC should be the same right? Im not really worried about overclocking, as I do not do alot of overclocking mostly just for benching. Might invest in water cooling for this processor and see if I can get good temps at 4GHz and see if that helps. I dont like going about 70c even though I think these 970s can handle 80c.

Jiniix

The Xeon I linked runs in a server socket, but you can get Xeons for 2011, 1155 and 1150. They are basically an i7 with some added features and extended testing to make sure it can endure 24/7 operation.
For gaming a Xeon is exactly the same as an equivalent clocked i5/i7 (some Xeons don't have HT) of the same socket/generation.