120mm VS 200mm Fans

huskyhuskyhusky

I recently bought a Cooler Master case and as I'm looking it over I realize that there are two spots in which I can either put in two 120mm fans, or a single 200mm fan. I have looked it over, and I have figured that if I were to put in two 120mm fans, they would run at 2000RPM and the 200mm fan would run at 700RPM to possibly 800RPM, depending on the fan that I go with.

My question is, is what option would result in better cooling? I don't really care about how loud the case is or really any other factor, only which option would possibly run it cooler? Chances are I will use the better cooling option in both spots on the computer case, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Thank you!

claptonman

The coolermaster 200mm run at 110 cubic feet per minute. I replaced my top 200mm with two 120mm each at 75cfm, so a total of 150cfm. It all depends on how many cubic feet per minute they put out and if you care about the extra noise or not.

MMM

Your theories on the cubic feet per min for fan movement might be correct but remember the volume of air movement relies on the amount of openings in the case for air to draw through to supplement this.
In practical terms it might not move that amount due to restriction.

Okedokey

It depends on several factors:

1. Do you want a positively pressured case (e.g. air coming in faster than it goes out). This is less effective for cooling, but reduces dust signficantly. Or you can have the output suck essentially, creating better cooling but more dust inside the case.
2. Noise.