125W Processors + PSU

Zamotox

So I am revamping the desktop computer I built a while ago, and next in line is my processor/fan case fans and such. If there is anything I know least about, it's Power Supplies and so I wanted to make sure I know how much watts I can and can not supply.

I'm using a 550W 12V Powersupply This
I also use a Zotac 9800 GeForce GTX 512 which I know is a power-hungry card.
I use one 120gb Harddrive and one CD-Drive, and 3gb of ram (512mbx2 2gb x1)
and five case fans (80mm x3 120mm x2)
I'm also using an 89W CPU atm.

My question is, with a rough estimation how much of my powersupply am I using and would I be able to push it by adding a 125W processor? I need to know if I should only be looking at 89W processors for upgrades or if I can go up to a 125W one. thanks!:rolleyes:

Mez

=] im guessing your using AMD. But to answer your question, yes you can move up to 125W processors if your motherboard supports them. That PSU will run it fine.

Zamotox

awesome thanks :) what do I look for in motherboard specs to see if they support a 125W processor? Or as long as the socket types match will it be fine?

fade2green514

from what i've heard the motherboard needs to support the capacitor types or something with AMD rigs, in order to upgrade to a higher wattage processor. not sure how to check it though, it's AMD.

and as for the power supply i agree, i'm using a 600 watt rosewill that i had running dual 4850's stable. i returned one to best buy though, since i really don't need it.

smoothjk

PSU-wise, you should be fine, but I'm not 100% sure about your motherboard. What kind is it? Some wont' support 125W processors.