12v rail Delta Electronics DPS-465AB-1 C

I have a Delta Electronics DPS-465AB-1 C in my back room but the sticker on the side is a little messed up and I can't seem to find any specs on it. Can anyone tell me with this has a 12v rail?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its an HP oem power supply and pretty much basically garbage. What are the specs of your system?

ok thanks. I know its garbage, I just need a 12v rail psu to narrow my issue. My current PSU apparently doesn't have one and because of that I was told that is the source of my issues. So since I had this in the back room I just wanted to know if it had a 12v rail, if it solves my issue I'll be upgrading to something better.

wolfeking

banned
I may be wrong, but for the last 10 years or so they should all have 12v rails. They run the motherboard and Processor after all.

You're probably right, my vocab is off. I should've said multiple rails or at least a more powerful one. Anyways to stop beating around the bush. The one in my back room won't work because I need a 12v rail with 40a. This topic I'm still a little new on. I have an xfx Geforce 9800 gt 1gb video card and through my searching I found I need a 12v rail with 40a. I also read somewhere that this can be achieved through several rails I guess. (ie. 3 12 rails at 18a ?) Anyways, I highly doubt it but the PSU in question, will it suffice? And if not, would this one suffice? APEVIA JAVA ATX-JV650W 650W (off hand the specs are 4 rails @ +12V1@15A, +12V2@13A, +12V3@13A, +12V4@13A)

wolfeking

banned
okay, lets narrow it down some. Going by Ohm's law, voltage times amps equates to watts.So given the voltage of 12 (standard for PSUs) and your necessary amps of 40, you need a supply that can reliably put out 480 watts.

So I suggest getting a 550+ watt from Corsair (although I don't like their ascetic design, Antec, Silverstone, Seasonic, XFX, OCZ, PCPAC, or the like.
Aprvia is a bad quality supply. Will it work, yes for a while, but when it goes be prepared to buy a new computer. You can same money now by getting a proper well built supply and not having to replace other components with it later.

Okedokey

To narrow it down even more, a 9800GT doesn't need 40A on the 12V rail. Not even close.

Maximum GPU wattage is 105W (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-9800gt/specifications) and even with overclocking 150W would be sufficient. This is 12.5A.

So a system with a 9800GT would be safe with a single 28A (336W on the 12V rail) like the Corsair 430W. About $25 and a better PSU.

If you plan on upgrading, heavy overclocking, multiple cards, of course this requirement would increase.

Finally please don't get carried away with multiple rails. In reality, it is a single coil transformer, so there is only really 1 rail. Voltage dividers are used to emulate rails at certain voltages.

Also, generallly you cannot add them up as you have suggested. Firstly, in older ATX standards (1.3 and down), 1 of the 12 V rails will be dedicated (e.g. isolated) for the CPU only. Also on cheaper PSUs, amperage and wattage ratings are usually specified as MAX, not useful as that is when it shuts down, so its lower than the rated spec.

To make it more complex, you then have a few other issues to consider. One is temperature derating. This occurs because heat increases resistance, and reduces efficiency, meaning that a 12V rail rated at 20A at 25oC, will derate (in extreme cases) around 4W per degree (C) above 25oC. This means that in summer, the inside of your case is 50oC (altogether possible), you will have to derate the 12V rails by their division of 100W (25oC x 4W). (e.g. 2 rails make 12V rails reduce by 50W / 4.2A each). Meaning in this example, each rail that was rated at 20A now can realistically only deliver 15A or so.

Finally, there are considerations such as active PFC, efficiency etc etc.

To cut a long story short, post your intended full system specs that the PSU will have to supply (and any future use-cases such as multiple gpu, oc) and we'll recommend a suitable unit.

Last edited:
To narrow it down even more, a 9800GT doesn't need 40A on the 12V rail. Not even close.

Maximum GPU wattage is 105W (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-9800gt/specifications) and even with overclocking 150W would be sufficient. This is 12.5A.

So a system with a 9800GT would be safe with a single 28A (336W on the 12V rail) like the Corsair 430W. About $25 and a better PSU.

If you plan on upgrading, heavy overclocking, multiple cards, of course this requirement would increase.

Finally please don't get carried away with multiple rails. In reality, it is a single coil transformer, so there is only really 1 rail. Voltage dividers are used to emulate rails at certain voltages.

Also, generallly you cannot add them up as you have suggested. Firstly, in older ATX standards (1.3 and down), 1 of the 12 V rails will be dedicated (e.g. isolated) for the CPU only. Also on cheaper PSUs, amperage and wattage ratings are usually specified as MAX, not useful as that is when it shuts down, so its lower than the rated spec.

To make it more complex, you then have a few other issues to consider. One is temperature derating. This occurs because heat increases resistance, and reduces efficiency, meaning that a 12V rail rated at 20A at 25oC, will derate (in extreme cases) around 4W per degree (C) above 25oC. This means that in summer, the inside of your case is 50oC (altogether possible), you will have to derate the 12V rails by their division of 100W (25oC x 4W). (e.g. 2 rails make 12V rails reduce by 50W / 4.2A each). Meaning in this example, each rail that was rated at 20A now can realistically only deliver 15A or so.

Finally, there are considerations such as active PFC, efficiency etc etc.

To cut a long story short, post your intended full system specs that the PSU will have to supply (and any future use-cases such as multiple gpu, oc) and we'll recommend a suitable unit.

Thank you. you're definitely helped a lot. Here's my issue then. My current PSU is a Coolmax cx-550B.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159026

If I'm reading it correctly, it has a single 12v rail @ 35A? So wouldn't this suffice for my card or am I reading something wrong? If this psu is enough, then my question goes back to what is causing my problem. During game play really ANY game with light graphics or heavy graphics the game will lock up almost like a scratch on a vinyl record, the sound will skip an loop. Then after a few mins the game will free back up but the graphics will be completely distorted. Almost to the point of not being able to make anything out. And to resolve the graphic issue I need to minimize the game (Alt+Tab) and then maximize it. And ideas? Also, I've checked my temperature when this occurs with gpu-z and the temperature barely breaks 56c with less than 40% fan speed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What video card do you have? Never mind. 9800gt. Technically that psu only has 420 watts on the 12 volt rail and its a garbage unit. Get yourself a good unit to diagnose.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Thank you. you're definitely helped a lot. Here's my issue then. My current PSU is a Coolmax cx-550B.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159026

If I'm reading it correctly, it has a single 12v rail @ 35A? So wouldn't this suffice for my card or am I reading something wrong? If this psu is enough, then my question goes back to what is causing my problem. During game play really ANY game with light graphics or heavy graphics the game will lock up almost like a scratch on a vinyl record, the sound will skip an loop. Then after a few mins the game will free back up but the graphics will be completely distorted. Almost to the point of not being able to make anything out. And to resolve the graphic issue I need to minimize the game (Alt+Tab) and then maximize it. And ideas? Also, I've checked my temperature when this occurs with gpu-z and the temperature barely breaks 56c with less than 40% fan speed.

Id suggest try the card in another PC. It sounds to me like a damaged VRAM. The PSU, although not great, should be sufficient. So I think your GPU is damaged. Also try a clean install of the latest drivers.

Id suggest try the card in another PC. It sounds to me like a damaged VRAM. The PSU, although not great, should be sufficient. So I think your GPU is damaged. Also try a clean install of the latest drivers.

I currently don't have another computer to test it in. Is there a way i can test the VRAM? I have already tried free installs of drivers and a few different versions too none of them seemed to help. I've also tried a fresh install of a newer OS windows on a separate hard drive (currently running xp, but I've tried it on win7).

I found a program to test video cards... but it didn't find any errors so I'm assuming the card is damaged. i also got another psu off a friend and I'm having the same issue so I don't think its my psu. However can someone explain how to judge a psu? I have a coolmax cx-550b and a Dynex CX-400wps Thank you!