13 or 14 inch Powerhouse laptop

FXB

thats an idea but then wouldn't I be obligated to always run my windows in bootcamp?

FXB

That seems like an odd idea yet not bad as well. If I do that would my machine be recognized as a mac or a PC by third party software?

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
That seems like an odd idea yet not bad as well. If I do that would my machine be recognized as a mac or a PC by third party software?
It depends on the OS, so if you install Windows over the Mac OS then it would be considered a Windows computer, as far as programs are concerned.

tlarkin

VIP Member
get a Macbook pro, as it is light weight, has bad ass battery life and have great hardware specs for laptops. You can either run Windows apps in CrossOver, or install windows via boot camp. You can also run virtual machines of Windows as well.

My main laptop is a Macbook Pro that is about 2 years old, maybe closer to 3 now. It is great, and I love it. I also run Windows and Linux on it as well. No issues for me.

FXB

Holy crap that site is annoying, is there a non flash version? They seem decent, and just under $1,000, but I would still recommend the Mac.

Same link as above

Why would you still recommend a Mac?

How about I get the toshiba U500 with a 12 cell battery? how long does a 12 cell battery last?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Why would you still recommend a Mac?

How about I get the toshiba U500 with a 12 cell battery? how long does a 12 cell battery last?

In my opinion pound for pound the macbook pro is the best laptop you can buy. Light weight, excellent battery life, and every feature you would want. Plus you can run any OS you want on it.

FXB

I would be willing to build one my self but I am not so familiar as to where to buy all the parts. I don't like buying online with the exception of directly from the manufacturer.

FXB

I seem to have narrowed it down to three laptops.

The Macbook pro which I would customize

Toshiba satellite U500

Asus U30JC-AL which would also be customized

Which would you say is best for the money and performance?

I want performance but I also want it light weight I will be carrying this daily sometimes even biking with it to school.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I would go with Asus, good quality build. Mac isn't to bad either and a good quality build but I know the price on there computers can be a little high in price for the hardware that is in them though. And the 12 cell in a pc should do you fine, I get 6 hours on mine and that is with a i5 cpu.

bikerkid

not read all of the posts but it sounds like the new hp envy 14 with an extended battery slice would be perfect, might be worth taking a look.