$150 Upgrade help

Shea2288

What's up everyone. I have a stock HP Pavillion a4310f http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01949097&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4107499 and I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I dont really play any newer games just Counter Strike and Madden 08. I do a lot of recording with Fraps but it's pretty laggy while recording. I have about $150 and a $25 gift card to bestbuy.

The stock PSU is only 250W so Im guessing I will need to upgrade that if I get a graphics cards. Currently this computer is running integrated graphics, I heard integrated sucks. I have a 1TB external HD that I store mainly all of my music, movies, and recorded gameplay.

Should I get a new Video card, PSU, and possibly some more RAM? The case is a Mid-size ATX so Im not gonna have much wiggle room I'm assuming. Maybe a modular PSU would be best so I wouldn't have extra cords taking up space.

Thanks for the help!

claptonman

That RAM would be a downgrade as he already has 4GB of 1333mhz RAM.

And to the OP, a modular PSU would be a lot of money, but if you can up the budget and keep the same video card, it would help.

Shea2288

Thanks for the help. I figured best buy would be a rip off. Will most cards fit my case? I just don't want to order something and have to send it right back. The power supply you suggested will fit no problem.

Gary1

Yes the GPU should fit your case it will be cramped. If you need to you can later buy an aftermarket case to help control heat. Yeah the ram would be a downgrade. But I think op should buy a GPU instead. I was just showing for price sake. If op buys gpu the PSU will bring price too high. RAM can wait till another time right??? I would not buy anything over 1333 until you buy a MOBO that allows you to overclock. Instead get something with good timing, and Cas Latency of 7. It raises the price a tad but I think it can wait.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104245 I think you only have 2 DIMs total for RAM. (another reason the last choice was a downgrade.)

Last edited:

Shea2288

Yes the GPU should fit your case it will be cramped. If you need to you can later buy an aftermarket case to help control heat. Yeah the ram would be a downgrade. But I think op should buy a GPU instead. I was just showing for price sake. If op buys gpu the PSU will bring price too high. RAM can wait till another time right??? I would not buy anything over 1333 until you buy a MOBO that allows you to overclock. Instead get something with good timing, and Cas Latency of 7. It raises the price a tad but I think it can wait.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104245 I think you only have 2 DIMs total for RAM. (another reason the last choice was a downgrade.)

Ok sounds good. I think I'm going to hold off for a couple more weeks and get a PSU, GPU, and RAM. Then I should be looking decent right? I plan on saving some money and building one eventually, will be my first build.

claptonman

1333mhz is the fastest your computer can handle. And at the settings you'll be playing games at with the rest of your computer, you won't use over 4GB of RAM. So I would not buy new RAM.