$1500 Gaming PC, tower only!

spirit

Staff member
No I'm using air cooling on my build and so is claptonman above. Air cooling for a 2500K is all you need really, I'd say liquid cooling would be unnecessary.

The Freezer 13 is a pretty quiet cooler by the way, I'd recommend it. :)

enrod

How does the 580 run as far as cooling and noise? Does it have a pretty good cooling fan on it already? Will the Lian do well to keep it cool?

spirit

Staff member
You don't need to worry, the cooler on the 580 will keep it cool and yeah the PC-K62 is a great case, it will keep it cool. Just dust your PC off every few months and you'll be fine.

enrod

Vista had made the recommendation for the EVGA, is it substantially better than the MSI? There is a good $40 difference

spirit

Staff member
The Twin Frozr will be the coolest of the bunch unless you go for a water-cooled one, so if you are concerned about heat, that's the card for you. The EVGA is also a good card enrod, but the MSI will be cooler. Uses an aftermarket cooler rather than a reference cooler. MSI say the Twin Frozr cooler is about 10-20% cooler than the reference cooler IIRC.

enrod

Aslong as it doesn't sacrifice performance, and I'm not entirely familiar with MSI's products, but if you guys recommend it I do like that it's cooler and cheaper :)

spirit

Staff member
I have used a GTX 560 Ti in the past with the same cooler as this GTX 580 and I'd recommend it definitely. It was a very well-built cooler and I was impressed by MSI's packaging and software bundle with the card, and of course, it looked beautiful. MSI is a good brand to go for. It doesn't sacrifice performance at all, if anything it improves it because with this cooler you may be overclock that 580 a little bit, or certainly more than you would be able to using the reference cooler.

Ankur

Hey just curious, do the MSI twin Frozers are intake fans or blow out the air into the case?

spirit

Staff member
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161400

i haven't looked if anyone has mentioned this yet, but a 7950 for 30 more isn't a bad option, and i know with the stock coolers the 7950 is cooler, not sure about against the twin frozr though.

A 7950 is a good choice, but I'd actually recommend a GTX 680 over both the 580 and the 7950. I only suggested the GTX 580 because Newegg have run out of GTX 680s because people have already bought them all, they will hopefully get more stock soon though.