$1500 gaming rig.

Fennec

Thought I would post a bit about what I'm looking for. Hardware suggestions including links appreciated.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming / Streaming Video Games / Web browsing (lots of pages open at the same time)
Possibly video editing at some point. I am a heavy multi-tasker so I tend to have a lot of things open at the same time and work very quickly. Maybe use it to watch a DVD/BluRay from time-to-time.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$1500 after taxes buying local. I could possibly squeeze out another $100-200 if it was worth it. But only if it was absolutely necessary for a much better rig. I'll be going through NCIX or Frontier Computer.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Vancouver, BC, Canada

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

1x SSD
1x HDD
Video Card
Motherboard
PSU
Case (Prefer a case with a window on the side, but open to options.) I like a more
sleek / minimalistic look, nothing too busy.Must have USB ports on the front. Prefer at least 2x 3.0
CPU
Memory 16GB?
Power Supply
Optical Drive (BluRay or DVD)
CPU Cooler
Possible additional fans for the case depending on how many come with it.
LED lighting options?

5) Will you be overclocking?

No, I won't.

6) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

1920 x 1200 - 24"
Samsung Syncmaster T240

7) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Sometime this month.

8) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Really not sure here. USB 3.0 would be nice.
I will probably use onboard sound and consider picking up an external sound card later if I want better audio.

9) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

No, I don't. I think I'd prefer Win7 over Win8 though.Unless someone can present some good arguments for me dealing with the headaches of Win8

Jiniix

All prices are CAD
Total: $1412

A little explanation about the build:
You wanted a sleek case with a side window. I can't think of a better case than this. You won't overclock, then this i5 offers great value. You could upgrade to an i7, but the cheapest one costs $320. You won't be overclocking, so I chose this great looking cooler that was really cheap. Can upgrade to Noctua D14 for +$50 through CPU. Good looking motherboard in my opinion. You say you might be editing, fast RAM could be a big benefit depending on the software. This offers great speed/price.

daisymtc

Antec HCG-620M on offer.
http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=67325&vpn=HCG-620M&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1306

aftermarket heatsink - personally don't see the need of that if you are not OC. stock heatsink will do the job. But there is no harm to get that if that only $20

optical drive: as you need to watch blu-ray, get BD combo

GPU: R9 280X = 7970. You can get it for $270/ 280, no point to get R9 280X at $320
http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=67547&vpn=GV-R797OC-3GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1306
http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=68755&vpn=HD7970-DC2-3GD5&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1306

Or get GTX760/ 770 if you want.

Jiniix

The CPU cooler is in terms of silence. The stock one is loud.
The Define R4 is also good.

Fennec

Which GeForce GTX 770 card is the best? I've tried to do a fair bit of reading on this, but there doesn't seem to be a general consensus.

But the top brands that keep appearing are: Asus/MSI/Gigabyte/EVGA
In the past I've gone with EVGA. Some said the Zotac are the most powerful though. *shrugs* I have a friend who works with computers that says he gets a lot of issues with Gigabyte GPU's. So I dunno. Thoughts?

Jiniix

I would say that the ASUS one is the best, but only by a small margin. MSI/ASUS/EVGA/Gigabyte is all pretty much the same. I would just look at benchmarks and see which one is the coolest (temperature-wise of course :D) and then get that.