16 bit vs 32 bit color performance?

XanderCage

I really didn't know where this thread would go under so i thought this was the closest section. Anyways, when running a game at 16 bit color do you gain performance over say running it at 32 bit color?

lovely?

um, as far as i know, yes, but pal, with your computer, dont run anything less then 1280/1024 on tru-color with AA and AF turned on, with high-res cubes and the rest of that stuff.

nffc10

I tried it in WarRock and i didn't see a major difference, somewhere in the region of 1 - 3 fps more. Nothing to write home about.:p

elitehacker

It really depends on what games you compare it with. I don't think recently release games would support 16 bit anyway, I can't find that option in Command and Conquer Zero hour or Kane edition or Fear.

XanderCage

i think all those modes use your default color, meaningif you have 16 bit on your desktop it will use that. For one, In CoH with everything turned on, max everything at 1280x1024, i got an average of 54 max 111.1 and a low of 22, now with 32 bit, i got 39.4 average, 110.1 maximum, 13 low. I think ill stick with 16 bit, it's almost unoticable, and being able to max out the game makes up for the small downgrading.

XanderCage

um, as far as i know, yes, but pal, with your computer, dont run anything less then 1280/1024 on tru-color with AA and AF turned on, with high-res cubes and the rest of that stuff.

as far as that goes, bro the 7900 gs is a damn wicked card, i <3 it but against some of todays top games, it falls a little bit short. like oblivion for example.