160GB HD only shows 127GB available...

JrDave2324

so it appears ive been havin a few issues with this new computer of mine! but, this issue is strange to me. i have a Samsung 160GB HD and after windows was setup, the C drive is only 127GB. so losing 33GB kinda sucks, so i want it back! anyone help me with this issue?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. The drive's capacity is actually just 156GB because of the definition of a byte. So really you're losing "only" 29GB

2. The reason you only seeing that much is because windows and the filesystem doesnt support partitions greater than 127GB. You will need to make new partitions to be able to access the remaining 29GB

3. I would reccomend something simple like Partition Magic ( http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/ )

JrDave2324

ok so i used Partition Magic and i got 21GB...so i have C drive at 127GB and G drive at 21GB, better than nothing i guess. does that sound right to you?

Blind_Arrow

Restart and make partitions more, if you dont have more drives, I am in habbit of giving one independent partition to the operating system only. rest goes for data and programs. in any accident, at least the data remains intact.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
does that sound right to you?
Yes because .. I was on crack. When i earlier said your capacity was 156GB i lied. I didnt do the math right (i did 1000/1024 but it really should be 1000000/1048576). You capacity is 152GB. You should be able to get 4GB more from it but I wouldnt stress it too much

JrDave2324

how would i get the 4GB, just curious? delete the first partition and add the 4GB to the partition?? so instead of 21GB i put 25GB which is the same as 25,000 bytes?

and Blind Arrow, could you explain what youre talking about?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
how would i get the 4GB, just curious
I havnt the foggiest of course it could be something simple like changing the cluster size but i would think that would affect the empty-size of the drive.

JrDave2324

wait, i just went to a conversion site for computer sorage units. so 160GB is equal to 160,000,000,000 bytes, but it says here that Microsoft reads 1GB as 1,073,741,824 bytes or 1 GiB (giga-binary-byte or gibibyte). so if you do the math 1,073,741,824x = 160,000,000,000 , you get x equal to 149.011. so microsft will read it as 149GB, which is what i have with the partition. does that sound right to you guys?

if it doesnt, too bad....because it is right :p :cool:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok this is a case of the same stupidities in one day. I cant do math. Yeah you're right, i converted MB rather than GB (i knew there was somehting wrong)

Good call :)