19" or 22"...

smoothjk

I know most people are going to say 22", but I got a 19" widescreen the other day, and I'm liking it. I went from a 19" fullscreen, so size-wise, I didn't notice any improvements. I like the added peripheral vision...but I don't like that my monitor seems short now, and I can see over it. I placed it on a tv-stand slab on my desk, and it looks a bit taller now.

I'm now debating whether to return it and drop another $60-70 on a 22" version of this monitor (it's an LG Flatron with 2ms response time). Here are the pros of a 22" and a 19", as I see it:

Pros of 22":
- 3 inches is a big improvement in the world of widescreen
- supports up to 1680x1024
- seems like the standard size these days (?)
- more immersive, since I won't be able to see things around my desk as much

Pros of 19":
- cheaper...with Christmas coming up, I need to save the dough for the family and the girlfriend
- still fairly large...but I do need to sit a tad closer to not see background items on my desk
- 1440x900 is pretty good-looking, and my 9600GT GPU can run everything smoothly on this resolution on high settings
- I wouldn't need to upgrade my GPU as soon...from what I gather, 1680x1024 res could make my system take a performance hit

Please advise! Try not to be too biased ;) maybe just a little.

WeatherMan

Oblivion - Yes! - Had a 9600GT & Belinea 22 Wide in the past, Ran fine at Max + 2AA 16AF.

My 4850 Runs Fallout 3 @ 4AA 1440 X 900 Max Settings. 9600GT perf is within 10% of my card IIRC, so I guess you'll have no problems :D

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
22" Widescreen is what you want,its just the right size aswell i think for gaming,anything bigger i wouldnt want.

ETSA

Yea I think 22 is the end all for monitors, anything bigger seems silly, unless it was a multiple monitor setup. I like mine, a Westinghouse 22 inch wide screen. I would recommend the brand, I have a 37 inch wide screen t.v. as well made by them. Great tech support too, had issued setting up cable when I purchased it, something to do with syncing it. They helped.

WeatherMan

Do you knwo when you're getting your monitor BTW?

I've just done the exact same thing! :)

I have this right now

19" Wide Asus

1211374453VW193S.jpg

Heres what I've just orderd,

22" Wide Hyundai

hyundai_n220w.jpg

Will be gaming on the 22" and using the 19" as a secondary.

What one have you got, & getting?

:D

smoothjk

I went with this LG. =)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8739092&type=product&id=1201913867402

It looked great in the store, has a great contrast ratio, and a super fast 2ms response time. Also, I've had a great run with my other LG, a 19" Fullscreen LCD, so I had to stay loyal to the brand.

Running games on 1680x1050 now, and never looking back...I am SO glad I went 22". This is how it's MEANT to be seen and played. Better upgrade than any other component I've changed in a long time. And I'm pleased to see that my 9600GT still holds up well in all of the games I play, despite the higher res. Fallout 3, Oblivion, Bioshock, and CS:Source are all rocking it on high/near-max settings.

Thanks guys! =) Great advice.

teamhex

I went with this LG. =)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8739092&type=product&id=1201913867402

It looked great in the store, has a great contrast ratio, and a super fast 2ms response time. Also, I've had a great run with my other LG, a 19" Fullscreen LCD, so I had to stay loyal to the brand.

Running games on 1680x1050 now, and never looking back...I am SO glad I went 22". This is how it's MEANT to be seen and played. Better upgrade than any other component I've changed in a long time. And I'm pleased to see that my 9600GT still holds up well in all of the games I play, despite the higher res. Fallout 3, Oblivion, Bioshock, and CS:Source are all rocking it on high/near-max settings.

Thanks guys! =) Great advice.

Glad you went with a 22" I just got mine a month or so back and im just :O Blow away! Best investment I made on my rig as well.