1900xt and ATitool

bebopin64

I just got my Asus x1900xt 512MB. I installed it and ATi tool didnt work. I really wanted it for fan control and I thought it might be a compatability problem since I was using an x850xt pr before so i just reformatted the computer since i wanted to do it anyway. well atitool still doesnt work. IT doesnt seem to recognize the card. when i open it the clocks show 0/0 and when I set them to the stock clock and pressed set clock it just crashed. I tried selecting the card in the settings but it seems to have selected it already because it is reading the video memory amount correctly. I just really want it to work so I can control the fans based on temperature. It doesnt read the mem bus width or pipelines correctly though.
ss.JPG

PC eye

banned
Which version of the ATI Tool are you using? The older one used on the X850 or one that came on the cd in the utility folder for the newer model? Most of the settings are entered manually to change the defaults. Do that with some caution there if and when ever tried. Due to scheduled maintainence you would have to wait to see if an updated version of the utility better suited is available for use with the newer model card there.

bebopin64

yeah i downloaded the newest atitool and it recognizes the card and everything is perfect except that it says the stock clock is 500/600. its supposed to be 625/725. I tried setting that clock and it crashed.

PC eye

banned
Remember the word of caution was advised when going to use it. I had some fun with the utility here when trying a few setting changes. That one is a little awkward where you have to already know how to tweak things a little at a time. The slightly lower reading is nothing to worry about there since vpu speeds change depending what is or isn't loaded. When pushing a load while gaming that will go up and down quite fast.

skidude

bebopin64 said:
yeah i downloaded the newest atitool and it recognizes the card and everything is perfect except that it says the stock clock is 500/600. its supposed to be 625/725. I tried setting that clock and it crashed.

Ok here is the deal with ALL X1900 cards. I noticed the same thing in both ATI Tool and catalyst, showing the clock speeds much lower than they should. ATI did a very interesting thing- it turned the clock speeds down when you arent running a 3D Application (such as a game). To show you this, open up Catalyst and go into ATI Overdrive, where it says the current clock speed. It should say the lower ones when you are just on your desktop. Keep that window open and then run a game. While you are playing the game, minimize the game and look at the Overdrive clock settings quickly. You will notice them at the speeds they should be. Be sure to do it fast before the speeds clock down again from being on the desktop too long.

ATI did this to prevent overheating of the card, since the X1900 series runs rather hot, so by lowering the clock speeds where it isnt needed it is lowering the temp of the card.

Took me forever to figure that out :D

mrjack

VIP Member
That version of ATiTool in the picture isn't the latest, the interface has been changed completely. You need the latest one to get support for X1xxx cards.