1Gb 9800gtx+ or 512Mb 9800gtx+

f-o-z-z-y

i have a choice between the two cards the 1gb is a Gigabyte nd there are lots of choices for the 512mb will i see a big difference in performance. money wise i could save $80 AUD depends on the brand i go with so any help would be good thnx

oh nd nd wot are some goodd brands.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i would go with the 1Gb version,newer games will require more Graphics memory.

Core2Deano

Yeah I bought the Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB.. has a great fan (runs max of 50ish at load) and is small and very good overclocker. Im running it atm and peformance is incredible. Im from Australia aswell (Melbourne) and got mine for $295 from Centrecom

kookooshortman55

I guess it depends if you have the money for it then. 1680x1050 isn't too big of a monitor so you would be fine with a 512MB model. I have the view distances scaled up in all of my games, and I haven't run into any problems yet. It wouldn't hurt to get the 1GB model, especially if you upgrade to a bigger monitor later, or if future games require more memory, but if you're on a budget the 512MB model would do just fine.

f-o-z-z-y

im not to fussed on the price i just didnt want to be wishing i got the 1gb a year or 2 down the track but thnx ill go with the 1gb its smaller,it keeps cooler thnx to a modifed fan nd even if i dont need all the memory now i probley will in the future thnx ppl

bullzi

im not to fussed on the price i just didnt want to be wishing i got the 1gb a year or 2 down the track but thnx ill go with the 1gb its smaller,it keeps cooler thnx to a modifed fan nd even if i dont need all the memory now i probley will in the future thnx ppl

in 1 year or 2, this card will probably struggle with some of the newer games. so don't plan on getting the performance you get now, 2 years from now, it wont happen.

i'd go with 1gb for now if price doesnt hurt you. as others said, the 512 would be fine, but if you're keeping it that long, go 1gb.

kookooshortman55

Haha yeah seriously I bought 8800GT last September as an upgrade from an 8600GT. I was hoping it would last me about 2 years. 3 months after I bought it, they stopped selling 8800GT's on NewEgg haha. Granted, it still plays all my games fine, I'm thinking it will only last another year before I build a whole new computer.

f-o-z-z-y

yer i know it wont last that long but even 6 or 7 months down the track the price will have hopfully droped enuf that i can get another nd put them in SLI

mabye

if i feel like it

Last edited: