1gig or 1.5gig ram?

davie23223

I have 1GB (512x2) dual channel ram in my laptop right now. My laptop only has 2 ram slots(both filled).

I am planning to upgrade. I don't want to order 2x1GIG ram seeing that the price is out of my range. I am planning to add a 1gig--total 1.5gig. If i do so, i will not have dual channel memory.

Which is better?

1gig (2x512) dual channel support

or

1.5gig

And will this make a big difference?

JAPPO

I think it will make an average difference. I'd go with 1.5.

or wait, not duel channel? Then I don't know.

fade2green514

i dont think laptops support dual channel.
not sure though. either way if it does support dual channel id rather go with 1.5gb just because you can run more progs and such at one time. then again, a little extra speed never hurt if you dont use that much memory.

Id go with 1gig, cuz with 3 sticks you cant run 1T, which will improve performance a bit. Besides, there isnt a HUGE demand for anything over 1gig, unless you do alot of video editing/photo editing.

Oh, and if your laptop does support dual channel then 1gig would be alot better.

Arm_Pit

banned
Id go with 1gig, cuz with 3 sticks you cant run 1T, which will improve performance a bit. Besides, there isnt a HUGE demand for anything over 1gig, unless you do alot of video editing/photo editing.

Oh, and if your laptop does support dual channel then 1gig would be alot better.
He only had two ram slots, he was going to up one of his 512's to a GB.

I would go for the 1.5GB, then later on for your next upgrade you can uprgade the other and you wil have 2GB and dual chanell again.

fade2green514

yea, if you're system runs out of memory then id upgrade. if not, then don't worry about it.
what do you do thats so memory intensive? i mean an upgraded cpu might be a bit better lol... core duo at 1.6ghz correct? not bad... best case scenario its as good as an X2 3800+ and thats a better estimate if it were a core 2 duo..
still good, but im just saying i think its a balanced computer the way it is. 1gb should more than suffice, my dads running on a 754 2800+ at 1.8ghz single core and 512mb of ram. i feel bad for him, but he doesnt care as long as it works, however slow and steady lol. hes always got to free up memory and crap im like dad why dont you just add 512mb it costs like $30... its like hes going as long as possible without upgrading or something haha... i mean s754 doesnt support dual channel (which i found out with my old 3400+ rig, like oh great right)

Last edited:

Archangel

VIP Member
tbh, i would stick with 1Gb. check what your memory usage is, i dont think it'll go much to the 1Gb.

also, the more RAM you put into it,. the more power it consumes. so its not very good to put unused RAM into a laptop, because it would drain the power unnececairely ;)

I usually always have at least 600mb of ram unused in my system. Then again, the most ram demanding software i use is Photoshop CS2. But i dont use that very often anymore, so its mostly just games, which the ones i play dont require that much (HL2, CSS, GuildWars, NFSMW....etc)

Last edited: