1st build nearly completed...I have reached a stalemate.

Larrito

I have assembled an Asus Maximus IX CODE motherboard with Asus video card and i7700 CPU. When I attempt to install Windows 7 PRO, the installation stops midway and requests driver update(s) be installed. I'm assuming the request is for motherboard drivers. The disk supplied with the motherboard does nothing. Any ideas?

Laquer Head

Only way you can run Windows 7 on the board is by installing a 6th gen CPU. As mentioned, Kaby Lake and Z270 support Windows 10 ONLY!

EDIT: You should just download Windows 10 pro for FREE and use your Windows 7 Pro key to activate! I believe this still works even though the FREE period is long over.

Last edited:

Larrito

Thank you, Gentlemen. I appreciate your knowledge and especially your willingness to help those of us that are less knowledgeable.

Jiniix

Kaby Lake can absolutely run on Windows 7. What you're experiencing is most likely a driver needed for your disk, but the motherboard only comes with Windows 10 drivers.
The only obstacle is Windows Update, which will artificially block you.
Either use PortUp to go around it all together, or you can just not install the block update / patch it afterwards.

But yeah, if you get a Windows 10 ISO (supplied free by Microsoft) you can activate it with your Windows 7 key. It will even change your installation if you got the wrong ISO (Pro =/= Home etc).
Then you won't run in to any software incompatibilities, but you'd be running Windows 10 ;)

Laquer Head

Kaby Lake can absolutely run on Windows 7. What you're experiencing is most likely a driver needed for your disk, but the motherboard only comes with Windows 10 drivers.
The only obstacle is Windows Update, which will artificially block you.
Either use PortUp to go around it all together, or you can just not install the block update / patch it afterwards.

Sure if you don't care about updates and drivers being compatible and relevant...

Jiniix

Why wouldn't you get updates?
The only thing stopping you from that is KB4012982, which changes a 0 to 1 in a .dll file. Just don't install it, and it works completely fine. There will probably be other future updates doing the same thing. Accidentally install it? Use a patcher to make that 1 a 0 again.
Or use Portable Update, which is a third party Windows Updater that works more often than actual Windows Update.
This was a change made by Microsoft after the boards were released, so most have Windows 8.1 drivers - which work on 7.
Before Microsoft did this, Windows 7 was the only OS allowed for benchmarking Ryzen. Then they fixed the RTC issue.

But as I say one line down from what you've quoted, use Windows 10 and avoid all that.