1st Custom PC Build - Need Help

kswindell

Looking to custom build a new PC. Really don't have a budget but I'm trying not to go overboard. Would like to have the capability of making the computer run things near max for the next 4 years or so. Would also like to run at least 2 monitors well, maybe even 3.

Mother Board - Asus P8Z68 Pro (Intel Z68 ATX)
- As far as i've read the Z68 is the best option currently?

CPU - Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Quad Core 95w
- Seems like this is generally agreed upon as the best option.

Ram - Appears 8 is enough, but wouldn't be afraid to spend a little extra to go above an beyond that. Is there such thing as to much?

Video Card - (2) ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
- From what i've read 2 of these gives you the option to run basically everything full blast plus gives the option for 3D and can run 3 monitors at 1080. Yet there not terribly expensive.

Sound Card - Creative Labs Soundblaster X-FI Titanium
- Appears this is the class of the field? Are there more than one version of this card?

CPU Cooler - Corsair CWCH50-1 Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler
- Will this be enough? Haven't done much research into this yet

Hard Drive - Assuming for the money i might as well get at least 1TB if not 2?

Optical Drive - Debating on whether I need the Blu Ray or not.

Power Supply - Suggestions? Haven't researched it to much yet.

I'm fairly new to this side of stuff but trying to learn. Have had the same custom built PC since early 07 an its just now starting to slow down. Would try an upgrade it but i truly have no clue whats inside of it and don't have the documentation from it...

Thanks in advance for any help

claptonman

8GB of RAM is fine.

It's generally accepted on this forum that an i5-2500k is the best option unless you're doing extreme multitasking that requires hyper-threading.

One 6950 2GB will max out any game with three monitors.

Z68 are only needed with SSDs. Get a 500GB-1TB and a 32-64GB SSD for your OS.

Liquid coolers are unneeded, in my opinion. Air cooling with suffice.

Creative Labs Soundblaster X-FI Titanium will perform awesomely. What speakers/headphones do you have?

For Power supply, a 650w will do. Choose a Corsair, antec, silverstone, seasonic, PC power and cooling, or XFX Brand.

Only need blu ray if you plan on watching blu-ray discs with your setup.

Troncoso

VIP Member
If you want to be set for a while 8gb of RAM is plenty.

Someone will more than likely recommend an SSD as your main hard drive. I don't oppose the idea, I just can't justify the price at this time. Your call. If you plan to watch blu ray on your PC then get a blu ray drive. That's the only thing it would be used for.

Sorry I'm being to lazy to actually look for the products, haha. As for the power supply, to CF the hd6950's, you'll want around 900w. That'll more or less give you plenty of room for upgrade. Make sure you choose a good brand. Something like corsair or antec.

kswindell

8GB of RAM is fine.

What can i gain from more? Would it be worth it to have in the long run or better to just upgrade at a later date.

It's generally accepted on this forum that an i5-2500k is the best option unless you're doing extreme multitasking that requires hyper-threading.

I've noticed a battle of whether not the i7 2600k is worth the money. I tend to like to have a LOT open at the same time. I've noticed the 8 Core Bulldozer is gonna out do everything?

One 6950 2GB will max out any game with three monitors.

Will it run 3 at 1080? I'm not scared of spending another 250 or so to go above and beyond. From some of my research it seems 2 of these will get you up around what the $1k cards will do?

Z68 are only needed with SSDs. Get a 500GB-1TB and a 32-64GB SSD for your OS.

So thats a good one to go with? What exactly is the advantage to an SSD. I know its faster. But what else?

Liquid coolers are unneeded, in my opinion. Air cooling with suffice.

Creative Labs Soundblaster X-FI Titanium will perform awesomely. What speakers/headphones do you have?

I have a set of 3.1 Bose that i've had for a while. Probably need to invest in a new set.

For Power supply, a 650w will do. Choose a Corsair, antec, silverstone, seasonic, PC power and cooling, or XFX Brand.

Just out of curiosity is it a waste to have more power than needed? Or would it help to just have to much for the small price increase?

Only need blu ray if you plan on watching blu-ray discs with your setup.

I don't mind having a little flash by overdoing it but don't wanna waste money obviously. I'd like to have some stuff thats gonna stand up for a few years an i can upgrade around.

claptonman

650w is all you need. anything more is a waste of electricity. You just want a reliable one.

Are you primarily gaming on your rig? i5 2500k is more than enough. Any video editing, stuff like that, go for the 2600k.

I have an SSD on my weak system, and it vastly improves everything. I recommend it a lot.

6950 2GB would be enough.

jonnyp11

it will be out in the next few months, believed to be mid september, and we hope it's something to wait for but we won't know until it's out.

kswindell

From what i've read the Intel is better for gaming regardless which is most of what i want to do.

So far i've decided for sure on the Soundblaster X-FI Titanium Sound Card

I think the i7 2600k is also for sure. Is there anything above that worth getting or does it just become a waste of money? (Not opposed to spending)

I would like to run dual video cards. I think the 6950 2gb seems to be the best for the price. Is there anything worth having above this. Obviously i'd like this stuff to last for several years to come an run at full specs on most anything. If this is what i should get i noticed there are several different versions of this one. Is there a specific one better than others? Also is this motherboard good for holding dual cards? I know a lot of factors come into play. Be patient I'm learning...

I would like to do 8 gb i believe its called Ripsaw i've seen a lot of people like? I would like the option to go to 16 or 24gb in the future. Will this set up hold that?

Everything else i'll decide on after i get these main pieces picked.

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate everyones input