1st post: Do all free AV's suck?

msteeln

I've tried all the 'name' anti virus' and just gave up trying to load Norton 360 again as over 2 hrs. to dl seems odd, but only Norton has been effective to any degree, everything else says things are just fine when obviously things are already very junked up even tho I've just gotten a new hard drive and full memory from the repair shop last week.
AVG wasn't great 2 years back and it's hard to completely uninstall, Avast typically whistles past the graveyard despite the repaiman saying it was the only thing to bother with, Widows Security Essentials can't complete updates, Windows Defender is rather worthless, and on and on.
Is there ANYTHING free that actually does the friggin job?
Thanx guys/gals!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Avast typically whistles past the graveyard despite the repaiman saying it was the only thing to bother with

Huh? Care to explain what that meant? Avast is probably one of the best free antivirus programs out there right now. I use it and have no problems. I install it on all my clients systems as well.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The only issues I ever have with Avast are the mail shield blocking Outlook traffic, so I normally don't bother installing that part.

msteeln

Care to explain what that meant? Avast is probably one of the best free antivirus programs out there right now.
Thanx for asking, whistling past the graveyard means pretending it ain't scary, but as I stated the AV's, even Avast, all say things are fine when they certainly aren't.
There must be something available free that is worth a damn.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Let me just say that no program, even paid versions, will catch everything. Why do you think there are so many malware removal forums out there that help people? There are other programs needed to catch everything, unfortunately. And it will always be like that and never change.

AlienMenace

I also use Avast Free, but I don't leave it stock either. I adjust it to my liking. Especially checking the rootkit box.

Agent Smith

Anti-virus software isn't very effective now a days. Take for example Cryptolocker. It got right through. I do use bitdefender free and for the browser I use Sandboxie. Sandboxie and Herprotect is what I would mostly use. Bitdefender is there just to make me feel good.

I tried Avast and it slowed down my Internet connection and a folder on the second HDD. Won't go back!

spirit

Staff member
Nothing is 100%. I've not had a virus in years now - the reason being is not because my anti-virus is 100% top notch (Trend Micro Worry Free, before you ask), but it's because I don't go looking around on dodgy websites or downloading odd applications.

Web of Trust is a fantastic little free extension that now works with most browsers and prevents you from going on bad sites. I use that too and that also helps a lot. If you're having problems with malware, I would install that because 9 times out of 10 that will stop you from visiting the bad sites.

AlienMenace

Thank you Spirit; I downloaded Web of Trust and trying it out. Going to suggest it to some friends that is not that much in computers. In other words, not that bright on computer security.:)

spirit

Staff member
Thank you Spirit; I downloaded Web of Trust and trying it out. Going to suggest it to some friends that is not that much in computers. In other words, not that bright on computer security.:)

Yeah it's a good extension. That and AdBlock are the only two extensions I use.

msteeln

It's a user issue alright, but there's more going on as well.
I might be end running the matter momentarily with uploading Ubuntu and foregoing IE and M/FF for the most part, or completely if Ubuntu is dreamy. A friend says buggers don't mess with Ubuntu much since it's the small fry in OSland.
My main focus in net travel is 'bad' sites so I'm constantly bombarded with the kitchen sink from foreign free domain music providers, but I gotta do it and need good protection.

Homenet

I would never pay for an AV program, most the additional features you get when compared to a free one aren't very useful.

User knowledge on security is your best line of defence. But having a secure network, a decent AV program (Panda Cloud is great and free), a sandbox tool and using virustotal.com should set you alright.

PCunicorn

As they've said, nothing is 100% and it's not fair for you to expect that. Avast is great, especially for free. The best setup that doesn't require going crazy is probably Avast+Malware Bytes. It really works great. Avast catches stuff instantly most of the time, then Malware Bytes usually detects anything that Avast didn't.

G25r8cer

Been using MSE for a good 2 years now with no issues at all. I also use Firefox and adblock. No pop-ups or viruses in a long time.

Avast use to be a huge resource hog just like Norton but, they have both gotten better

bdonovan

we don't have to rely only on antivirus software to be protected against virus and other malware...actually it is up to you to keep your PC safe...Spirit is 100% right...regarding paid antivirus, I am not a big fan too, because there are lots of additional features, which might sound great, but in real life they are not applicable...