1st time build firewire question

popeye

I have no experience in building computers, but I want to give it a try soon. I have a stupid question that I can't find the answer to, and its driving me nuts.

If I have a motherboard that doesn't have an onboard firewire port, but my case has a firewire port, is there a way I can actually use the firewire port on the case?

The only thing I can figure is that I would have to buy a firewire card and connect the internal port to the port on the case. Is this right, or is there an another way around this?

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum

Thanks.

RampageCole6

If you have a FireWire on your case and not on your motherboard either look harder or buy a PCI card that has firewire on it.

NOTE: USB 2.0 is faster than firewire for transfer of Data/video/music etc. so just get/use USB 2.0

popeye

If you have a FireWire on your case and not on your motherboard either look harder or buy a PCI card that has firewire on it.

NOTE: USB 2.0 is faster than firewire for transfer of Data/video/music etc. so just get/use USB 2.0

Is it possible to connect the the internal port a pci firewire card to the case firewire port?

paratwa

Is it possible to connect the the internal port a pci firewire card to the case firewire port?

You would have to look at the pci card it's self. If it has a internal connection on it, then yeah it would be easy. But you would also have to look at the Firewire cable from your case to see if it would be long enough to reach the pci card.