1st time build help

My old computer mother board burned. So i want to try my hands at building a computer. I want a good gaming computer base then upgrade from there and run two 15" monitors.

I have a dell dimension E521. I want to reuse the power supplies, cd driver, and may be the hard drive.

can some one help me out with a good combo that i can upgrade from and that will not go out of date to fast. under about 500 bucks. ty

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have a dell dimension E521. I want to reuse the power supplies

You do not want to reuse the Dell power supply as its cheap and wont power a decent build. Get something like this if you are just gonna be a standard user with no high end gaming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

As far as the hard drive and cd drives you can use them until upgrade time.

Also telling us what you will be using the computer for would help to. Do you do any type of low to medium level gaming? We would need to know so we can recommend a certain video card.

linkin

VIP Member
That combo you linked is pretty good. For video card look at GTX 460 1GB, you will want 4GB DDR3 (1600mhz/CAS8 preferably)

Then you'll want a case and powersupply, case is up to you, just make sure it supports a full ATX board (look at midowers or fulltowers)

Powersupply... Corsair HX-650 and TX-650 come to mind. As well as the XFX powersupplies)

You'll want a hard drive, have a look at the WD Caviar Black 1TB drives and Samsung F3 drives

ok well as far as putting windows 7 on it. Is the start up easy or is it some what of a pain? and would i need more then 650w or would that be over kill? so far from what i looked at a i5-665 then some one said the i5-650 is better what do yall think on that?

linkin

VIP Member
Windows 7 is easy to install, takes me 20 minutes at most so it's not a pain to format every now and then

Last edited:
Linkin What parts do you think. Money is round about 1000 bucks. need and have to run dual monitors, going to be gaming but dont want to run hot or be loud. And i want it to be able to run for at less 3-4 years. and above all i have to show that building one is cheaper and better the buying one lol