1st time OC'er needs simple help

asdfguy

I want to OC my machine, but everything that i've read confuses me when i go to try it. I think it's because what i've read calls things differently then what my bios calls them. could someone give me a breif explination of what these things are or might also be called?

Hyper Transport Frequency
CPU Freq.
PCI Express Clock
DDR Voltage
CPU Multiplier
CPU voltage
PCI Clock Sync. Mode

ie. Is CPU freq. also know as my FSB freq.?

I understand the DDR & CPU voltages and the multiplier (kinda). what is the rest of that stuff? i've read OC 101 a couple of times and visited a bunch of other sites. i don't get it. multiply what by what divided by this and that to get this and it will work mint.....WHAT!?

another thing, since i'm on the topic, i've used AI Booster (came w/ my mobo) and when i set my OC scheme at Standard, my pcu speed doesn't stay the same constantly...like right now im watching it. it just went from 2.2ghz (stock) to 3.8ghz. WHY!?

I've managed to OC it 2.5 ghz and then it jumps to 4.4 ghz speraticlly. (i don't think I oc'ed it correctly first of all). why does it do that, and is it normal?

please help me, i've read so much but apparently it just isn't lcicking w/ me.

thanks

Charles_Lee

Encore4More said:
that is very sad answer, cuz he wasn't asking how to oc, but asked whats going on his computer;;
and it is clearly stated that he read cpu101 many times,..

may be the reason for your cpu speed to change is,,, there is "auto" setting you know?
some motherboards control how much performance you need at an instantanious moment,
and what it does is, it overclocks your cpu on its own...
that might be the case,
or who knows if your computer is hacked by someone and "he/she" is playing with you.

http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41396 might help;;

asdfguy said:
I've managed to OC it 2.5 ghz and then it jumps to 4.4 ghz speraticlly. (i don't think I oc'ed it correctly first of all). why does it do that, and is it normal?
its possible on auto setting, but highly unlikely,,, even if the cpu is well overclocked, going higher than 4ghz isn't easy...

Last edited:

asdfguy

Are you serious!? Are the both of you retarded?! Encore, I said, I've read the OC 101, read the entire post. It didn't help. Charles, the thread you pasted doesn't once touch the questions I've asked. I've read that thread twice before I posted my questions.

Does anyone have anything usefull to give me?

Charles_Lee

asdfguy said:
Are you serious!? Are the both of you retarded?! Encore, I said, I've read the OC 101, read the entire post. It didn't help. Charles, the thread you pasted doesn't once touch the questions I've asked. I've read that thread twice before I posted my questions.

Does anyone have anything usefull to give me?

oh ya first i posted without thinking, but i dunno, i read yours again, and tried to answer,,,, i don't know if it was helpful, but if you didn't like it, sry..

by the way, i didn't think you would read what i wrote in 10 seconds...

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
hehe..

First of all CHILL :)

We are trying to help ya :

Hyper Transport Frequency (HTT) - 1000Mhz for S939
CPU Freq. - yes it is basically "FSB" although that does not exist in S939 (CPU101/OC101 explains that)
PCI Express Clock - Frequency at which the PCI Express system operates (100Mhz)
DDR Voltage - The Voltage for the memory (2.7V +)
CPU Multiplier - Multiplies the core clock (ex. 10 x 200Mhz)
CPU voltage - VID/Vcore - voltage that goes into the CPU (ex. 1.4 V)

I suppose you know what the HTT multi or LDT is because that is very important in terms of keeping the HTT at or below 1000Mhz.

Also make sure that your motherboard supports these feature because it very well might not ;)

JAN :D

Last edited:

asdfguy

Charles, I have to appologise. I didn't mean to call you retarded. Your effort to help me was much more "in-line" than Encore's. You obviously payed attention to my original questions. Again, I am sorry to have summed you up with Encore. Sorry. Thank you for at least giving me something that was relative.

asdfguy

jancz3rt said:
First of all CHILL :)

We are trying to help ya :

Hyper Transport Frequency (HTT) - 1000Mhz for S939
CPU Freq. - yes it is basically "FSB" although that does not exist in S939 (CPU101/OC101 explains that)
PCI Express Clock - Frequency at which the PCI Express system operates (100Mhz)
DDR Voltage - The Voltage for the memory (2.7V +)
CPU Multiplier - Multiplies the core clock (ex. 10 x 200Mhz)
CPU voltage - VID/Vcore - voltage that goes into the CPU (ex. 1.4 V)

I suppose you know what the HTT multi or LDT is because that is very important in terms of keeping the HTT at or below 1000Mhz.

Also make sure that your motherboard supports these feature because it very well might not ;)

JAN :D

Ok, this is all I know. I know that i need to keep my HHT under 1000mhz. I don't know why. I know that "somthing" multiplied by my multiplier (only goes to 11 - which makes me think that its OC locked but not UC locked) equals my processors speed. Now, I thought that it was my MemClock cycle (or mem speed) X Multiplier = PCU Speed. However, now I think that it was my FSB X Multiplier = PCU Speed. But I have read that the 939's don't have a FSB. So that's why I wasn't sure if I should use my CPU freq. in place of an FSB freq.

I know that if my multiplier is locked, then I can't OC the PCU but only the FSB.

I know that if I OC my FSB I in-turn, OC my Mem Speed/Freq. I know that I need to set a divider or ratio somehow to lower my mem speed relative to my FSB, but i don't know how or to what degree would be feasible.

I know that once my machine fails to boot, then it's time to up the PCU votage, i don't know when to up the DDR voltage. And when i do this, are my temps the limit for voltage increases?

I also can't figure out how the speed of a FSB is calculated.

As for if my mobo supports the above features, I got those right out of the BIOS.