1st timer

Backwoods166

Hi, I want to do my first build and had a couple questions to start with.

While I want to build a computer because I think it will be fun does it save me good chunk of money? I was looking at refurbished before I decided to build and was thinking of spending around $1000 not including monitor/speakers etc.

It looks like a lot of people here completely build from the ground up. Am I starting off on the wrong foot if I go with a bare bone system? While I have been around computers all my life, installing motherboards, cpu's etc. is not something I am familiar with. I am more of a ram/video card installer kinda guy. :)

Thanks for any help.

azwebs

It saves quite a lot of money to build your own in most cases, it depends what you're looking for. Buying at $1000 wouldn't get you much, but building should get you something pretty good.

Building from the ground up ensures maximum customization options and upgradeability, however barebones systems can be used too. You just get less options (I think that's all anyway). Barebones usually comes with a processor and motherboard etc, so you'll need to find a system so we can recommend what else to put with it.

If you want to build from ground up, tell us what you want to use it for and your budget (still $1000 i presume) then we can give you some suggestions.

EDIT: Dark Tears beat me.

ScOuT

VIP Member
You are correct...most people here build their computers from scratch. You can find some good deals with bare bones systems and combos sold from stores like Newegg and Tigerdirect. There are some penny pinchers here and we can help you get every dollars worth when building a system. With a budget of $1000 you can build a very nice machine.

What will you be using the computer for?

That will decide even where to start...that question.

DarkTears

banned
He means that your question would decide where to start if he wanted to build a machine. We'd need to know what he wanted it for before we could put the parts together.

oh i see, says he was looking at a refurbished first or somethin.

Backwoods166

The computer is for gaming/internet. I am flexible on price some what. I am also interested in having a base I can use for a few years/upgrade when neccessary

Backwoods166

So you want to build yourself correct?

Yes! More than anything it will be fun and a learning experience. I'm reading through the motherboard sticky atm and plan on reading every sticky hehe. I am not sure what questions to ask to start with but any help or direction would be great.