1x 8800GTS vs. 2x 4870 CrossfireX?

handle

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running a 8800GTS in my Asus motherboard - obviously I can't do SLI so I was wondering how much better a pairing of two ATI 4870's would be?

many thanks :)

bomberboysk

Would be probably a 200% or so increase in performance depending on whether it is the G80 or G92 8800gts. Would be a good upgrade.

handle

I don't know what my 8800 is, so you definitely think two 4870's is the way forward for me?

cheers :)

lovely?

I don't know what my 8800 is, so you definitely think two 4870's is the way forward for me?

cheers :)
that is a whole different level of power, a single 4870 would absolutely demolish an 8800, but two is bordering on overkill.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
yeah, it could be pointless if he doesn't have the horsepower to back it up.

Btw, my grammar sucks... that "you" was suppose to be "your". hehe :p

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
It depends, if he has a X38-X48 board, then two 4870s would be best. But if he has a Px chipset, then the 4870X2 would be better. Because CF runs only at x8/x8 on the Px chipset. Or x16/x8 (or is it x16/x4? :p)

handle

My specs are:

P5E3 Deluxe WiFi @n motherboard
2GB (2x 1GB) OCZ gold plated DDR3 (1066Mhz)
Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz CPU
Corsair TX 750w PSU

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Oh ok, i'd go for the two 4870's then. ;)

Or even two 4850's, they are unbeatable for the price. They run right with the 4870's, they just aren't factory clocked as high. Basically.

handle

Oh ok, i'd go for the two 4870's then. ;)

Or even two 4850's, they are unbeatable for the price. They run right with the 4870's, they just aren't factory clocked as high. Basically.

Cool, thanks for the recom. I've spent a lot of money on this set up, so here goes another £300+!

One day I'll be dunking it all in mineral oil and overclocking it, but I'm not quite there yet!

Jerrick

If it will fit, id personally go for the x2. No crossfire/power/extra cable hassel, but all of the performance.

handle

Somebody mentioned a bottleneck though, I don't want to buy it and it be effectively the same as two 4870's...

Physically though, is two cards crossfired better than one X2? Or equal?

ah, too many things to think about!