2-2-2-5

CmoAMD

Hey what do these numbers mean in memory? 2-2-2-5, the lower the better? My friend is now trying to build his own comp like me... he wants to know what to look for, he wants 2 x 1GB.

Also, what exactly is the purpose of RAID0, combining 2 drives... does it increase RPM, if it doesnt, whats the point! Let me know, please!

Ignorantguy

yes the lower the better. you only need timing like that if youre a serious gamer or vid editing maybe. abou raid i dont think it increases rpm just transfer rate i believe but dont quote me on that. however i do know it is a noticable increase in performance.

4W4K3

VIP Member
2-2-2-5 is known as memory timings - http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=377&Itemid=0

RAID0 is just a configuration/data transfer type you can use to configre your harddrives. It doesn't increase RPM's, that's jsut silly lol. - http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/singleLevel0-c.html OR http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom-striping.html

Please read these, they really aren't that complicated.

CmoAMD said:
So 2 2 2 5 is very very fast? Whats a gamer need, a good amount. 3 3 3 8?

If, lower is better, what makes you think 3-3-3-8 is better than 2-2-2-5? 3-3-3-8 is EXTREMELY loose timings (well, it used to be anyways) and will not give you as much speed/performance as 2-2-2-5.

Now we have RAM running at 5-5-5-12, so 3's look amazing lmao.

4W4K3

VIP Member
What speed? PC3200, PC4000, PC4800? And how much can you spend? $100, $200, $500? And are you looking for DDR or DDR2?

computerhakk

VIP Member
sorry i sound off topic and not directed towards his question.. but is there a way i can find what numbers mines are? like manually now with them in place already?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hey what do these numbers mean in memory? 2-2-2-5, the lower the better? My friend is now trying to build his own comp like me... he wants to know what to look for, he wants 2 x 1GB.

Also, what exactly is the purpose of RAID0, combining 2 drives... does it increase RPM, if it doesnt, whats the point! Let me know, please!
RAM 101
RAID 101.

4W4K3

VIP Member
kreg said:
so is 3 3 3 8 pretty damn slow?

it depends on the type/speed of memory. for PC3200 it's not too great, but if you were running DDR2 PC2 8000 or something it would be great.

CmoAMD

I plan on getting a ASUS A8N SLI Premium, what kind of DDR or PC#### does that take? What possibilites do I have... as for the budget, depends on the quality, I would spend up to $200 I guess on 1GB?

Geoff

VIP Member
that motherboard has 4 slots and can handle up to DDR400 (PC3200). You can get the cheaper ram such as a 1gb Corsair Value Select stick for about $110 from newegg. Or if you want low latency/ECC ram, you will have to pay around $150-$200+. I find Corsaiar Value Select to be one of the best quality/price ram. Now you can either ge 2x 512mb's for Dual Channel, or 1x 1GB.