2.5 compared to 3.5 processor

Binuclear

I'm not that good with computers so I have no clue what the difference is between a 2.5 to 3.5 processor and a processor that is just 3.5. I've seen that on multiple computers and I plan on buying the HP Omen, so I just want to know what the difference is between the two.

Darren

Staff member
I assume you're talking about clock speed, which is the speed that the processor operates at. The higher the better. Normally. There's variance in between different architectures and different companies (AMD and Intel).

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
And you also have to make sure your are comparing a dual core to dual core and quad core to quad core. If comparing a dual core to quad core then quad core is definitely better.

beers

Staff member
Those numbers mean nothing without context.

Which specific CPUs do they have?

Geoff

VIP Member
As beers said, speed alone is irrelevant without knowing what specific processors you're comparing. One could be a dual core to a 6-core, or an AMD vs Intel.

Binuclear

Guy's this is just a question my father brought to me. Supposedly he saw some computers that say 2.5 TO 3.5 processors and some that said just 2.5 or just 3.5 processor. He never brough up the units to me, just those numbers.

Binuclear

Guy's this is just a question my father brought to me. Supposedly he saw some computers that say 2.5 TO 3.5 processors and some that said just 2.5 or just 3.5 processor. He never brough up the units to me, just those numbers.

Also its in Ghz. Supposedly the website my father saw said that if you didnt have enough processing speed while gaming, it would add more. We both found this stupid, why wouldnt it just use all of it from the start?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Because new CPU's use something called turbo-boost, in which it automatically overclocks the CPU from stock frequency to a higher frequency when needed.

tylerjrb

The turbo boost on new CPUs are there to overclock the cpu when needed to a safe set speed set by Intel, amd etc. it doesn't run it all the time to save power and only uses the turbo boost when it is needed.

Quite a lot of the time it doesn't run at a solid ghz anyway again it runs lower to save power until needed.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Which CPUs have a 1GHz turbo boost on four cores?

Also depends on what was marketed on the label. Usually companies will lie/mislead consumers such as 2.5 GHz but boosts up to 3.5 GHz! even if only one core would be active at that clock rate.