2.5 in Laptop HD in a Deaktop???

Ok so i got a 2.5 in. SATA laptop hard disk. Would it be possible to put it in a desktop with nothing more than the power and data cables that come with the PSU and MB? If so would it even be possible to run the windows
os from that disk on that desktop? What i mean by that is if i plug that thing in wihtout installing a new os would i be able to run the os present on the disk even though it was done on a different computer wiht different hardware specs. If i need some sort of adaptor to use it internally please link to a fairly cheap one. I know that there are external enclosures but that isnt what i reaally want/need. Thanks for any help!! PS: I do not know if it is sata 1.5 or 3.0 i would assume it is 3.0 because i got it in mid 06 and sata 3.0 was out then. And if it was 1.5 would it matter??

fortyways

banned
Yes, you can use a laptop hard disk in a desktop, though you'd have to find a non-traditional way to mount it because desktop cases don't have 2.5" drive bays.

No, it doesn't matter if it's 1.5gbps or 3.0gbps.

And no, you can't use the OS that was installed on another machine. You'd have to reinstall the OS.

Story more explained. My laptop is junk and we are guessing that the MB if fried so if my hd is fine i want to recover the data so the only otion i know will work is a. hooking it up internally b. buying an external enclosure c. put it in another laptop and grab my files off (but saying that a os reinstall is neded i dont think this will work) So would option c be possible? I bet myself that it cant.

We have a dell XP Sp1 system reinstall disc would i be able to be cheap (and most likely break the law) and use it instead of wasting my money on a new os disc?