2.8 Ghz or 3.0Ghz??

elektrotek1

I'm looking to build a couple of computers that will be made for number crunching. (Prime factoring numbers hundreds of digits long.) Since it will take months to complete, should I go with a 2.8 Ghz P4, or a 3.0 Ghz P4? Will it really make THAT much of a time difference? Also, would a 800Mhz FSB make the calculating go alot faster than the 533Mhz FSB?

A friend and I are going to be doing some serious number crunching for encryption research. We will be using about six to seven dedicated computers of our own, plus others that want to help out. If you are interested, please e-mail me at [email protected]. My friend is developing software that can be used on dedicated machines and used on machines that are being used. (The program will take over when your screensaver comes on.) Right now he's trying to find an efficient alogrithm that can really speed the calculations up. If you have any ideas, please pass them on to me. Thanks alot.

[email protected]

kalson

u should get AMD instead of intel , AMD is faster most of the times, get like AMD 64BIT - 3000 or AMD 3400 , up to ur budget and price range

4W4K3

VIP Member
a 2.6C Intel processor and IC7 ABIt motherboard are very popular for speedand "numbercrunching", gaming, performance wise. you can overclock a 2.6C and IC& (with PC3200ram) past 3.2GHz. provided you have good cooling and the know-how. i suggest a 2.6C if you want to overclock. if not then a 2.8 should be plenty to run prime95 or any other programs like it.

elektrotek1

So then, is clock speed all that matters? I know that P4 are more expensive that Celerons because they have a higher FSB and Cache. Are these not important for number crunching?! I figured the P4 outperforms the Celeron anyday, no matter what the application is.

4W4K3

VIP Member
elektrotek1 said:
So then, is clock speed all that matters? I know that P4 are more expensive that Celerons because they have a higher FSB and Cache. Are these not important for number crunching?! I figured the P4 outperforms the Celeron anyday, no matter what the application is.

well its not ALL that matters. but you are correct a P4 will beat out a Celeron any day. celerons are meant to be fast, cheap, but not real performance CPU's. the P4 is all about power...and it shows when you compare the 2. it will also feel faster running a P4...its more noticable and not just a statistic. i had a celeron and it felt like it was gonna puke its guts out when i pushed it too much. mine was rewally old though lol.

4W4K3

VIP Member
elektrotek1 said:
Also, 4W43K, I currently have an Athalon XP 2600+. How did you get your's up in clock speed?

first off i say YES to the P4 and NO to the Celeron. that my vote. second i have a 2600+ MOBILE processor (made for laptops but runs in desktop pcs') the AMD moblie processors are some of the BEST overcloking chips and i highly reccomend them they are UNDER $100 at www.newegg.com. they run at lower voltages than desktops (laptops run hotter so designing a CPU capable of max prerformance on minumum voltage was a necessity). you can take a mobile 45wt 2600+ to 2.6Ghz on AIR...anytthing more requires water cooling or the like most of the time. i have hit 2.6 with my wair but i prefer 2.4 because of lower temps and plus i havet had alot of time to play any games so i dont like to stress it when i dont havce to. als ohave ABIT NF7-S mobo (rated as one of the BEST AMD overcloking mobos as well.) it is only $86 at www.newegg.com on sale right now. it can handle fsb up to 240mhz, anymore requires vmod. i run 220*11 as of now @ a mere 1.65V. aslo hav OCZ ram...aslo a very good overclocking brand and it costs around $130 at www.newegg.com as well. basically i know what parts to buy and how to run them...thats all it takes to get a ~$300 setup to get to 2.6ghz (provided u have quality air cooling). if you would like to know more on overclocking you can visit www.insanetek.com and read around. VERY smart people here...and very helpful.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
first off I say YES to the P4 and NO to the Celeron. that my vote. second I have a 2600+ MOBILE processor (made for laptops but runs in desktop pcs') the AMD moblie processors are some of the BEST overcloking chips and I highly reccomend them they are UNDER $100 at www.newegg.com <http://www.newegg.com>. they run at lower voltages than desktops (laptops run hotter so designing a CPU capable of max prerformance on minumum voltage was a necessity). you can take a mobile 45wt 2600+ to 2.6Ghz on AIR...anytthing more requires water cooling or the like most of the time. I have hit 2.6 with my wair but I prefer 2.4 because of lower temps and plus I havet had alot of time to play any games so I dont like to stress it when I dont havce to. als ohave ABIT NF7-S mobo (rated as one of the BEST AMD overcloking mobos as well.) it is only $86 at www.newegg.com on sale right now. it can handle fsb up to 240mhz, anymore requires vmod. I run 220*11 as of now @ a mere 1.65V. aslo hav OCZ ram...aslo a very good overclocking brand and it costs around $130 at www.newegg.com as well. basically I know what parts to buy and how to run them...thats all it takes to get a ~$300 setup to get to 2.6ghz (provided u have quality air cooling). if you would like to know more on overclocking you can visit www.insanetek.com and read around. VERY smart people here...and very helpful.
Booyah! Well said all around :) What's your core voltage at? :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Booyah! Well said all around :) What's your core voltage at? :)

for 2.4ghz i run 220*11 @ 1.65V. but my board really has it around 1.62-1.65..it fluctuates a bit. hasnt seemed to cause any problems though. im very happy with this abit...best board ive ever used.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yea I've sold a whole bunch of the NF7's (most commonly the NF7S) and everyone's happy with it ... i'm very impressed with that voltage heehe (I run 1.68) ... what PSU do you have?

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Yea I've sold a whole bunch of the NF7's (most commonly the NF7S) and everyone's happy with it ... i'm very impressed with that voltage heehe (I run 1.68) ... what PSU do you have?

right now 350watt enermax. smae one since the day i got into computers lol. but im hoping to upgrade to a fortron 530watt. its got adjustable pots and rock stable rails from what ive read. im building a rig for my gf so maybe i'll give her this one.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Dang... adjustable pots! :)

yeah i never used adjustables b4. heard it was really good if your having voltage regulation probs and you can manually adjust them.

Sophocles

VIP Member
I have an intel 2.8 P4 and it easily overclocks to 3.149, the 2.8 and the 3.0 are the same chip if they have the same core. They only differ by their clock multiplier.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Sophocles said:
I have an intel 2.8 P4 and it easily overclocks to 3.149, the 2.8 and the 3.0 are the same chip if they have the same core. They only differ by their clock multiplier.

is 3.1 your limit? or just the beginnig lol? i took a 2.6C on an abit IC-7G to 3.2 with decent watercooling kit. was my sisters bf's computer though.had some PC3200 geil ram that overclockd nicely too. im sure you can get more than 3.1 outta that 2.8...there good chips. might needs good AIr cooling thoght to get a higher overclock.

elektrotek1

2.8c

Thanks for all of your input guys.

I've decided to go with a 2.8C with 2 sticks of 256MB PC3200 ram. I'll be overclocking with air cooling, so I'll see how fast I can get it. I've seen on some websites the processors pushing 3.5ghz on air cooling. I doubt if I'll drive it that hard, but I'll be pushing it.

I'll keep you posted.