2.8GHz Pentium 4 478 cannot overclock?!?!

oscaryu1

VIP Member
over 3Ghz or so it freezes alot, blue screens, and other stuff. ???!??!!? i heard you can overclock it 33% max but this one barely 50Mhz without death messages, no thermal grease, un-intel-certified fan/heatsink

2 case fans.. runs... barely KEEP fans... think 2000-2500 RPM? 6 inches away you can BARELY feel them.

help overclock? or get better cooler n stuff, northbridge has heatsink no fan

Geoff

VIP Member
Well first off you need thermal compound, especially on the P4 Prescott's!

It sounds like the big reason is overheating, hence the no thermal paste solution. You may also need to raise the CPU voltage (vcore), and/or lower the memory speed by using a divider.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
scared though, raising the CPU voltage could cause CPU failure.. and i dont want to do that to a $100 or something processos >( but if i have to...

and is it overheating??

Schonza

Well, If you're scared about risking your CPU my advice would be to not overclock. It seems like you may not exactly know what you're doing.

However If you wish to OC, then first off, buy some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound, then you'd need an aftermarket HSF on a Pentium 4, because they do let off a lot of heat. this is more than likely your problem. Maybe a couple more case fans couple help the air circulation, as the hot air might not leave the case.

Also, it might not always be your processor that holds you back, it can be other components not wanting to play, example your motherboard not liking the higher FSB setting, or your RAM doesn't want to run at the increased speed.

Finally, don't take what other people say about max speeds from a processor 100% seriously, because it doesn't matter if you have the exact same set up as your mate, it extremely unlikely that you will both get the same OC results, because there are slight differences between hardware.

Burgerbob

If you have no thermal compound on a Prescy, then definitely yes. Get some AS5 and a good cooler and it should OC better. Much better.

Geoff

VIP Member
scared though, raising the CPU voltage could cause CPU failure.. and i dont want to do that to a $100 or something processos >( but if i have to...

and is it overheating??
$100 processor? lol... more like a $20 processor.

ebay bought for 6.50 arctic silver 5 compound, NONE of my comps. use compound.. doh!
Thats too bad, you can buy one brand new on Newegg for $5.99. :)

oscaryu1

VIP Member
plus S&h... but at that time the 2.8 like 2 years ago was alot... my dad bought a $800 buck 1.3GHz processor. at that time 1.4 was max. I have a 166MHz comp.from compusa that he bought for $1000

Geoff

VIP Member
Ya, technology lowers in value very quickly.

If you raise the voltage a few increments, nothing will happen except it will get a bit hotter, it would take a pretty significant voltage increase to destroy the processor.

elitehacker

Yeah increasing the voltage will help stability, but you will need to keep an eye on the temps as well. I suggest you raise the voltage to about 2.3-2.4 and see if that helps stability. Also change to an after market cooler if you haven't already done so.

xBoom

For your information, thermal grease/thermal compound/thermal paste are all the same..
It increases the conductivity of heat between your heatsink and CPU (that's good thing).

PabloTeK

You don't want a 4cm fan for a Northwood, you need a bigger fan/heatsink, preferably a fan with a throughput of at least 50 cubic feet per minute if you're overclocking. A big heatsink helps too.

Geoff

VIP Member
I found a 2.93Ghz Celeron, is that better than a Pentium 2.8Ghz? Thanks! Just tried the celeron... wow.. slow
As many people said in your other thread, the 2.93Ghz Celeron is much slower, especially if your CPU has an FSB of 800Mhz.

jedijeff123

[-0MEGA-];634452 said:
Well first off you need thermal compound, especially on the P4 Prescott's!
a socket 478 CPU is not a prescott, it is a northwoods CPU. The Northwoods core P4s were b4 intel got crazy with the voltages.