2 computers dead in last 2 weeks

Adinas95

I'm new to these forums and am trying to figure out what is going on and also please excuse me for typing so much and any spelling errors because I'm having to type this from my phone lol.

so first desktop was one that I've had for a few years and isn't to great... I recently decided to start playing world of warcraft again and figured I could uograde this old desktop for cheap to play... I bought a new western digital 500gb hd for it, a used core 2 quad off of ebay to replace the dual core that it had so it then played wow great for the next 2 or 3 days and then it started blue screening on me... I then formatted the hard drive an redid windows and everything else... Ok here is were it gets weird. That night I turn it on and plug my headphones in to listen to music and a weird noise shot through the headphones and the computer quit. I checked the power supply and everything and narrowed it down to the motherboad being bad.

At this point I just decided to build a new desktop..

Went to newegg and got everything:

Nzxt full tower case

Rx-530ss 530w power supply

intel core i5-3470 lga 1155 cpu

Two 2gb ripjaw ddr3 ram sticks

Nvidia geforce gtx 660 video card

biostar tz77a motherboad

Asus cd dvd drive

and I used the 500gb hd from old desktop since it was new already.

got it all setup and running then yesterday it started blue screening. I eas running wow and pandora when it happened. .. after the first blue screen it would not boot past the starting windows page, would keep restarting itself so I tried putting windows 8 on it and it would just keep blue screening. I took the 500gb hd out an put a 300gb hd I had laying around and still same problem. .. then that last time it rebooted itself it made a weird static noise down where it was plugged in and just quit. Will not power back on now at all...

I can't figure out why two completely desktops had the same problems as stated above.. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Adinas95

Very crappy power supply to be using especially with a gtx 660 video card. Change out the power supply to something good and see if it starts back up. If you are wanting modular then get this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139050

or

if you plan on upgrading video card later then get this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139048

Thank you for the reply, the only reason I went with that power was because i have used them in other builds and never had any problems an their cheap lol.. I planned on upgrading it in the near future due to wanting to run another 660. I am pretty sure it is blown judging by the sound I heard from it after it quit but it still dont make sense why the same thing happened in my old desktop starting with blue screens and then just quitting

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Actually giving us the blue screen code or what file it errored on would help a lot. If you had an underpowered power or failing power supply, it would definately cause bluescreens to appear.

Adinas95

I wish I'd of got the error code but I cant now seeing it wont turn on, I guess ill order a new power supply and go from there. Thanks for the help

Adinas95

The computer powered back on and is giving these blue screens (sorry for terrible pictures) and after it restarted the 3rd time it quit powering on again like yesterday... waited about 15 minutes then it powered back on.

I've tried turning it on with not video card, two different hard drives and also tried it with 1 stick of ram also...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
This could be a windows issue or a memory issue, or simply just a bad motherboard. Download and create a memtest cd to run tests on your installed memory.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

You can either make a bootable cd or bootable flash drive depending on what you want to do.

Adinas95

It ended up being the memory having issues, I replaced it with 6gigs (three 2gb sticks) an also did a error check on my hard drive on a different desktop and it found over 20 errors on that itself. But everything is going fine now... Thanks a bunch for the help johnb35

Okedokey

It ended up being the memory having issues, I replaced it with 6gigs (three 2gb sticks) an also did a error check on my hard drive on a different desktop and it found over 20 errors on that itself. But everything is going fine now... Thanks a bunch for the help johnb35

All of your issue have probably been caused by your rubbish PSU. You've added a new quad core over a dual core, new hdd and you're trying to game. This underpowered state can damage RAM and other components. Id very much recommend a new PSU if you don't want to be replacing more gear very soon.

Adinas95

All of your issue have probably been caused by your rubbish PSU. You've added a new quad core over a dual core, new hdd and you're trying to game. This underpowered state can damage RAM and other components. Id very much recommend a new PSU if you don't want to be replacing more gear very soon.

The first build that I replaced the dual core in is not being used anymore. I also realize the power supply isnt the greatest but I said earlier I was already planning on replacing it when I ad another video card