2 computers, one monitor

computerstu

Is there something I can buy that will allow me to share a monitor between 2 computers. I would guess that it would have a manual switch to toggle between one or the other.

gamerman4

you would need a KVM switch. They allow you to connect a mouse, keyboard, and monitor to multiple computers.

gamerman4

that would work as long as your keyboard and mouse use PS/2 connections, otherwise you would need one that supports USB.

Cleric7x9

you can also use a program called Synergy. its free and pretty easy to set up, no need to buy any hardware

james201

i dont understand that program, he needs something that can have two computers and one monitor, he needs something that has two monitor ports, and one output that he can connect his single monitor two. there is no way around it, unless it was done with some clever networking. But this is just a pain to switch between them. Best bet is definately a KVM.

Synergy allows the user to use one mouse and keyboard for two computers, not one monitor. depending on your use. something as simple as this would do. http://www.bestofferbuy.com/keyboard-mouse-monitor-2-port-kvm-switch-box-p-93.html?currency=GBP&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=gbase for normal use, but if for example you were gaming; you would need something with better inner technology :)

hope this is useful,
James

DizzlyDood

My mouse is wireless and the keyboard is standard. Is there a KVM unit that will accomodate both?

They make connectors that will convert PS2 to USB. On my KVM at work I use USB Y cables that take the mouse and keyboard PS2 connectors and transfers them to 1 USB.