2 External Monitors on a Laptop

philgons

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 and a 22" Acer monitor. I'd really like to add a second 22" Acer, so I'm exploring the options for the best and most cost effective way to do that.

This article lists six ways to do it:

• using the second VGA output of the laptop
  • adding a PCMCIA video card
  • using a docking station with video card
  • using a PCI video card in a PCMCIA-to-PCI expansion system
  • adding an external video card
  • using a second laptop or other PC as an additional monitor
Most are very expensive.

My question is whether anyone has had experience running two external monitors with a laptop and if so, which method you would recommend.

BTW, I'm running Vista, so I'd need the method to be compatible with it.

Thanks.

Phil

PC eye

banned
The likelihood is small but using a Y type adapter is the "lowest" cost item to consider. The video card or onboard would have to have the support for that however(in a Dell? :eek: ! not likely for sure).

The_Other_One

VIP Member
That list you posted pretty much covers the only way to do this... But honestly, in the end, it woudln't be worth it. I mean for the cost of say a PCMCIA to PCI expansion, you could probably build a desktop similar to your laptop. PC-Card video cards, I don't know how those would perform, but probably slower than whatever's onboard.

You're only real options would probably be to use another PC(say beside your laptop). Or, maybe you'll luck up and find a cheap PCMCIA video card. Assuming it's not too old and the company made drivers for Vista...

philgons

Thanks, guys.

I am planning out my first desktop build, but have put it off until 3Q when the Intel Quad Cores significantly drop in price. I guess I'll wait until then before I buy that second monitor.

PC eye

banned
I know the feeling on "waiting forever" for prices to drop on any popular model cpus. For the 939 build here I've been waiting for either an Opteron 185 or FX-60 to come down. The Ultramon program looked the most encouraging for a multiple display application when looking into several. But you will get a lot further with a desktop for this.