2 hard drives help

elly

i have 2 hard drives on my laptop both size 524.c drive is nearly full how do i swap over to the other (d drive) one.my laptop is an acer aspire 5580 and has vista windows thankyou

AMD Fanboy

actually, if that's the way the laptop came when it was new, you really only have one Hard Drive. It's just Partitioned in half. That makes it register as 2 separate drives, but it's not. You don't really have to switch over to the other drive, you just have to point the things that you're copying to that drive instead of C: Usually when you install programs it asks you were to install, right? Well, this time, tell it where instead of just clicking Okay through every step. Look for a button called "Browse" When you install a program. that will give you a point and click way to tell it where to put the install. If you're just wanting to copy files to it, just open the HD Icon and Drag the files to it.

AMD Fanboy

I disagree. Vista installs from OEM Partition a HD IN HALF. It's true that it's there for Vista Restore points, but it's a major waste of space IMO. You CAN copy and write to it. I know, I have a Vista computer that is partitioned in that most rediculous way. You can install to any drive that's valid, even a USB Key.

Last edited:

cohen

I disagree. Vista installs from OEM Partition a HD IN HALF. It's true that it's there for Vista Restore points, but it's a major waste of space IMO. You CAN copy and write to it. I know, I have a Vista computer that is partitioned in that most rediculous way.

I know that.... but you can't switch, why not just buy a bigger HD and then install vista?

AMD Fanboy

These days you Void your warrenty if you change your OS installation. If more space is needed than what is on the HD, You could buy an External without voiding the warrenty.

AMD Fanboy

I'll Yeild to you Cohen, since you have more posts than me and i've just joined this forum today. I think that there was some mis-communication though.

elly

thankyou both of you.i know you can just swap over the man in pc world showed me but i have forgot how.my other computer wont work so i have had install my programs into the laptop which has took up more space than expected otherwise i probably wouldnt need to use the d drive once again thankyou hope i didnt cause to much of an arguement lol:rolleyes: