2 older computers-Can I swap parts?

We bought a new Dell about 10 years ago. It's the 4400 model. About 5 years ago it started acting up and found out it had a defective hard drive. We decided to buy a new computer and had the local computer shop build us one.

About 3 months ago it just stopped working and what reading I did about the problem it sounds like the power supply just stopped working. So I went and bought the emachines computer from Wal-Mart and it works great.

Would it be possible to take the power supply from the Dell unit and install it in our broke computer to troubleshoot it and see if indeed the power supply is the problem? Thanks!

cobrahead

you should try, and if suspect that the PSU in the other Computer is the Problem, just give a try from Dell PSU, but check the wattage first in the Two PSU, and the Power Connector Pin

mel

OxfordPCRepairs

The way i test a borked PSU is to remove the connectors from motherboard ,Floopy ,harddisk etc

so nothing is plugged in then if you look at the 20/24 pin mother board connector from the PSU
put a wire from the green wire to a black wire and plug in the kettle lead if the fans dont turn on its borked