2 questions, Windows Update & AVG

Mikeohioukus

Hi guys, i have a couple of questions in regards to Windows update & AVG.

1. I have windows update set to install updates automatically, it is set on everyday at 13:00, However i don't notice it ever installing updates by itself, I will go to windows update and it will say you have 23 ( or so ) updates to install, Is there a reason it won't do it by itself like its set? I have Windows 7 by the way.

2. My laptop came installed with norton internet security, however i installed AVG free before without problem, But i formatted my laptop a bit ago and tried to install it again but it says there is a conflict with Norton, Please uninstall norton to install avg, I'm wondering why it won't let me now and it did before.

Thanks guys! :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do yourself a favor and forget about AVG and download either AVAST or Microsoft Security Essentials.

I don't recommend the newest version of AVG. AVG conflicts with a malware program that I use to help remove infections from systems. If you ever come here to get help to remove infections then most likely AVG would have to be uninstalled for it to run.

Run the norton removal tool here.

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4749&file=1&evp=242a1882161556089131482b8e4a8e42

bengal85

Do yourself a favor and forget about AVG and download either AVAST or Microsoft Security Essentials.

I don't recommend the newest version of AVG. AVG conflicts with a malware program that I use to help remove infections from systems. If you ever come here to get help to remove infections then most likely AVG would have to be uninstalled for it to run.

Run the norton removal tool here.

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4749&file=1&evp=242a1882161556089131482b8e4a8e42

go with security essentials. Make sure you run the norton removal tool though to get rid of norton

Mikeohioukus

Ok, So it isn't worth keeping Norton? I haven't liked it much, But i don't really know how good of a job it does. Not possible to be leaving it on with other programs then?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can't have more than one active virus program installed at any given time as they conflict with each other.

Nanobyte

Re your question 1, check your settings for Windows Update. There are various options from doing everything automatically through semi-automatically to nothing.

Mikeohioukus

I have it set to install updates automatically, but it doesn't seem to do that, I have to go there and click install updates.

Nanobyte

I wondered if the updates that were not installed were optional updates but those should not even be downloaded automatically.

There is a checkbox "Receive recommended updates the same way you receive important updates" in the "Choose how Windows can install updates" dialog. Do you have that checked and are those the "waiting to be installed" updates?