2 socket motherboard

artworks

I'm trying to install a second hard drive to a motherboard with only 2 sockets for data--one for the current hard drive and one for the optical drive. Can I use a splitter to power the second drive from the socket for the optical drive since they likely won't operate at the same time? Would the power controller be big enough? Cause too much heat? Any other concerns--like blowing the motherboard if both drives operated at once?
I'd prefer an internal not an external drive. I'm pretty new at this so I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

OptiPlex 755 SFF.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You mean you have only two SATA ports on the motherboard. You'll need to get a SATA controller you can plug into a PCI or PCI-e slot in order to get more SAT ports for the data cables. As for power, you'd probably need to split it. But because it's a Dell OptiPlex the PSU isn't very strong.

Aastii

VIP Member
On top that that it needs to be a low profile SATA controller, a standard size won't fit because you have a slim case.

What country are you in/currency do you use?

Okedokey

According to this your board has 4 sata ports.

Capture-26.png~original

If this is not the case and you still think you need more SATA ports, you can go with something like this and install it in the PCIe x1 slot (yellow box).