2 x 512MB Twinmos not working

Fatal

Alright, here's my problem. I have Abit NF7-S2G motherboard with 2 x 512 MB Twinmos DDR 400 sticks. Whenever I use both sticks at the same time, I get random Blue screen of deaths.
Ok, "bad ram", you're thinking. It's not.
Well then the other slot on the motherboard must be broken, right? I can assure you that they aren't.

I tested both of the ram sticks individually on both of the slots, and if I use them one at a time, they work without any problems, but when I use the at the same time, I get the random crashes. I have no idea what's causing my problems. It's not the slots, and it's not the sticks.

Any help will be greatly appreciaited.

dave597

VIP Member
From reading it seems you only have 2 ram slots in total. Read your motherboard manual to see if two double sided sticks will cause overheating. I read mine last year, I found out there are specific configurations in placing sticks of single or double sided ram into three slots. Maybe you could try downgrading one of the sticks temporarily to a 256 1 sided and see what happens?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Ahmmm

Fatal said:
Well I have three slots, but one of the slots only supports 333 MHz, so I'm counting it out.

Can't you have all of them run at 333mhz...i.e....try one stick in the slot that you claim (which I doubt), only supports 333Mhz and into one of the two remaining ones.

JAN :D

Fatal

Really, it supports only 333 MHz (at least the manual says so. I haven't really tested it). There are two other slots which both support 400 MHz. So I have a total of three slots, but I wouldn't really want to use the slower slot. Luckily I have a warranty for the memory and the board, so I can change them to a combination that works.

I'm not a total newbie with computers, but this one has stumped me. Thanks for the both of you, though.

Tha Killa

joelkyr said:
have you tried using just 1 stick and see what happens?

(First post)

Fatal said:
I tested both of the ram sticks individually on both of the slots, and if I use them one at a time, they work without any problems, but when I use the at the same time, I get the random crashes. I have no idea what's causing my problems. It's not the slots, and it's not the sticks.

Fatal

The motherboard supports maximum of 2048MB 400MHz ddr, or 3072MB 333MHz ddr (one gig more because of the slower slot).

I'll try using the slower slot tomorrow, and see how it works.