20 + 4 = 24 pin ?

spl00g

I have an older thermaltake 480 silent purepower psu.

It has a 20 pin connector plus an additional 4 pin connector that go to my current motherboard.

I am buying a new motherboard that requires a 24 pin connector am I going to be able to plug my two current plugs of 20 and 4 side by side to make 24 or will I need an adapter for 20 to 24 pin?

Also my new video card is a ATI 4350 seen here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125251

I am wondering because my current psu does not have pci-e hookups if I will need like a 6 pin plug or if since it is low profile it will not require one?

I plan on eventually upgrading my psu but if i can get away with not buying adapters now then I can wait until I upgrade video card again.

Thanks for replies in advance!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the 4pin connector is intertwined with the 20 pin then yes it will work but if the 4pin connector is separate then that connector is for the processor. Do you have 2-4pin connectors or just 1?

spl00g

O yeah duh I just have one wasn't thinking that one was going to cpu, ok so I will need an adapter for 20-24. Thanks for the quick reply

Geoff

VIP Member
If the PSU states that is has a 20+4Pin cable, then it can be used with a motherboard that requires a 20 or 24 pin connector.

yhahh

Your PSU seems old (20+4 pins connector is old). I advise you to buy a new recent PSU with PCI-E connectors (even if the GPU you want to buy doesn't need) and 24pins cable for the mobo. It would be more careful.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Your PSU seems old (20+4 pins connector is old). I advise you to buy a new recent PSU with PCI-E connectors (even if the GPU you want to buy doesn't need) and 24pins cable for the mobo. It would be more careful.
? Every psu ive purchased in the last few years has had a 20+4pin, its there because some older motherboards use a 20pin, and most new motherboards use a 24pin. I can tell you for a fact my 1kw Zalman even has a 20+4pin.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Don't post without knowing what you are talking about, the majority of newer power supplies are 20+4 pin. Yes, even the 1KW+ ones.

yhahh

All recent PSU have a 24pins connector, to go with recent motherboards.
I didn't say what I wanted, I wanted to say his PSU is old because it doesn't have any PCI-E connector.
And I didn't take care to his 1st sentence too (lol), so if your PSU is a thermaltake 480W it should be powerful enough if you use in the future a molex*2 > PCIe adaptator.
On the whole I've nothing said ^^
==>

spl00g

yah mine came out before the transition to 24 pin started therefore it only has 20 so i ordered a $3 cable to convert the 20 to 24 even tho most motherboards say it isn't needed and that 20 will work just fine but most users report inconsistent and unreliable power.

I am just trying to save some money by not upgrading the psu and graphics right now but doing it later when I can no longer play anything, as I have waited with my barton 2500 and my 9600xt :)

Bodaggit23

I'll check, but in my memory I didn't can remove 4 of the 24 holes

This is what he's talking about.

The plug is essentially a 4 pin plug that snaps onto a 20 pin plug,
allowing you to unsnap the 4 pin plug and use it on older boards.

17-139-006-08.jpg