20 + 4 pin

lulumara

Hi does 20 +4 pin can be use in a 24 power conn. I'm a noobie so excuse my ridiculous question I'm just to be sure if this will suit that i will buying for the power supply that I needed in my Dell 5150 with only 305 watts. And any advise on how many watts should I buy if I gonna put a graphic cards of 512Mb ?

Michael

I use a 20+4 pin PSU for my 24 pin motherboard.

Just make sure the power connection on your motherboard isn't proprietary to dell PSU's (power supplies), and you should be ok.

-Michael

lulumara

I did checked the PSU and looks like the brand name is DELL ,the power cable conn. to two hard drive (160 and 500 Gb) is kinda the long so there's no other way I can order . other power supply had short power cable to Hard drive.

Michael

What do you mean by propriety to dell psu, can you explain pls??

I'm not sure that it's an issue in this case but, on some older computers (e.g: Compaq Presario) the motherboard had a power plug made to work only with the PSU (power supply) that Compaq originally shipped with the computer.

Give me a few minutes, I'll look into it.

-Michael

EDIT: Ok, it looks like any 20+4 or 24 pin ATX power supply should work for your computer, but you'll want one with long motherboard connection cables, or you'll probably need to get a female-to-mail PSU extender cable. This is the conclusion I've come to after googling "Dell 5150 power supply" and reading a few of the results.

EDIT 2: You mentioned the HDD (hard drive) cables being too short on aftermarket PSU's (power supplies): You can get extensions very cheap to extend those cables. I highly recommend using monoprice.com.

Links:

ATX Power Cable 20M/24 Pin Extension - 6 inch

5.25M/5.25F (Molex/IDE Style Power Connection) Extension - 12inch

Molex/IDE Style Power Connection to SATA/Serial ATA Adapter/Extension - 6inch

Last edited:

lulumara

Is that for power conn. (female to male socket) to hard drive because the two hard drive is below or at the bottom of the case? So I can go ahead and order in Newegg thanks for researching its really nice to go to this forum cheers. That's the two sata connectors.

Last edited:

Michael

Is that for power conn. (female to male socket) to hard drive because the two hard drive is below or at the bottom of the case? So I can go ahead and order in Newegg thanks for researching its really nice to go to this forum cheers.

Please review my previous post. I've updated it with some links to some extension cables at monoprice.com.

You may, or may not, need these cables to extend the cables on your new power supply to work with your motherboard and/or hard drives.

-Michael

EDIT: Just saw your revision. I know there are SATA extensions out there, but I can't locate one right now. You can, however, use the below cable if you have an open Molex/IDE Style Power Connector available (most PSU's have plenty of them free/not in use):

SATA Serial ATA Splitter Power Cable(1 X 5.25 to 2 15 pin SATA power connector) - 6inch

The above cable will split a single Molex/IDE Style Power Connector into two SATA power connectors, and it'll extend it 6 inches.

Last edited:

lulumara

So there's no extension for this power cable but anyways I will still gonna search first and maybe will follow your advice thanks again.