20 CPU's

malikah

Thank you SC7 for your informative reply.. I have since done some more searching into what I am looking for and it is called a RENDER FARM.
Thanks to the few of you who gave useful replies..

MadModder

If you plan to do any gaming a render farm won't serve you as well as you think. A render farm is several computers working together, normally used for advanced 3-D animation.

Last edited:

Rambo

malikah, before you go and blow away a ton of money, have you thought about what you want to do with a render farm? What exactly is it you want to achieve with all this computer power?

Last edited:

mrjack

VIP Member
A render farm is just a bunch of computers hooked up together that render a scene or a whole animation done with 3D modeling programs like Maya or 3DS Max. Usually they use Mental Ray, Turtle 2 or 3, Brazil, Maxwell or Pixar RenderMan for the actual rendering. These programs aren't cheap.

SC7

malikah said:
Thank you SC7 for your informative reply.. I have since done some more searching into what I am looking for and it is called a RENDER FARM.
You're welcome. However, a Render Farm is usually a few to many powerful computers linked together. What exactly are you looking to do with a Render Farm? Just for our own curiousity, maybe we can help design the best configuration.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone else remeber that guy we had here about 6-7 months ago who had just inhereited like £3 million and he had set aside £80,000 for a PC and wanted us to build it for him, god that was fun, i enjoyed that, this could another one of those. Last time praetor did most of the work and the final thing was bloody impressive.
Ya and the budget wasnt big enough....

Still ignoring hehe

exactly are you looking to do with a Render Farm?
Hehe isnt the answer to that pretty simple? :p

Rambo

Praetor said:

Hah, well... You know what I meant ;) He hasn't really said what he wants to do (apart from "Piss all over a 6.4 Ghz CPU" as I recall...).

EDIT: Here we go:

malikah said:
I just need info on what it would take to build something that would piss all over a 6.4ghz

Oh, and by the way malikah, don't worry about my other question above, I read your posts stating what you want to do. Nevermind :)

Last edited:

SC7

Praetor said:
Well I guess, but you never know what it is he wants to render, could be a number of things. But I guess it's all the same. :cool:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes but people who can do that (assuming you have fully functional Cells of course rather than the more common not-so-functional ones) wont be making threads like this :rolleyes:

SC7

pwoznic said:
just wait til ps3 comes out.. buy a few and take the cell processors and 'wolf' 'em
Again, the Cell is not good for basic computing tasks, and really, is hard to program for. Nothing will run on them, and they're not MP by design, either.

fade2green514

yea you'd need drivers for them... which im sure will be integrated into the PS3 (when its finally out) somehow.
anyways, if you had twenty cpu's you would come across too many issues... like the fact that its summer and even outside of a computer case it would heat the room up 5 degrees...
and what do you plan on doing that you need 20 cpu's? i think you're better off just getting a fast dual core, say core 2 duo in a couple of days?
you'd need a lot of FSB and i think that hard drive speed would help you more rather than cpu speed.
with 20 cpu's it wouldn't be able to read the hard drive quickly enough to process all the info. i mean screw front side bus... 1066mhz wouldn't bottleneck if you cant even read the info from the hard drive quickly enough.

so in conclusion id go with a dual core, two dual core cpu's, or id wait for a quad core and maybe a motherboard that supports two quad core cpu's... meaning 8 cores.
generally what i mean is that other parts matter just as much as the cpu does. sounds to me like you'll want 4 to 8gb worth of memory, if not more.... that is if you really want 20 cpu's lol you'll need the biggest fastest memory on the market, and say 2x74gb raptors in RAID 0 with the 16mb cache on each one. maybe even 3 or 4x74gb raptors if you can stretch it.

we'll need to know what your budget is, and what you're looking to do with the computer as well.

Last edited:

SC7

fade2green514 said:
yea you'd need drivers for them... which im sure will be integrated into the PS3 (when its finally out) somehow.
Drivers, it's not that you need drivers for a CPU, it's that the whole programming architecture is different, you'd need code to be specifically compliled for the Cell's architecture, which, If I suspect, is PowerPC with some slight modifications/CPU extensions.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
if you had twenty cpu's you would come across too many issues... like the fact that its summer and even outside of a computer case it would heat the room up 5 degrees...
Most of the time, 20 CPUs is kept in a handful of 3U or 4Us or in some wierd cases, 1Us and 2Us (not seen that much, usually 3Us) and that rack sits next to a EC rack (environmental control aka air conditioning) and all that sits next to a UPS (dual in line id imagine) ... heat's not an isssue

and what do you plan on doing that you need 20 cpu's?
Movie encoding, statistical analysis, rendering...

we'll need to know what your budget is, and what you're looking to do with the computer as well.
Hehe i asked that question off the bat knowing this woulda been a "empty thread" as it has turned out to be