20 pin? 20+4 pin? 24 pin!??

widemind

What's the difference between the different pins? I'm pretty sure I need a 20+4 pin power supply. I need to buy a new one (preferrably 450W-500W) for my new video card (see full specs in sig).

Any recommendations for my setup?

Thanks!
Adam

Geoff

VIP Member
20 Pin is used on the older motherboards without PCI-E slots, such as socket 478, 754, as well as a few 939's and LGA775's.

24 Pin is used on new motherboards with PCI-E video slots, mainly 939, AM2, and LGA775.

20+/-4 Pin is the best of both, meaning that you can disconnect the 4 pins if you want to use it on a 20 Pin motherboard, or leave it on for use on a 24 Pin motherboard.

widemind

[-0MEGA-];473722 said:
20 Pin is used on the older motherboards without PCI-E slots, such as socket 478, 754, as well as a few 939's and LGA775's.

24 Pin is used on new motherboards with PCI-E video slots, mainly 939, AM2, and LGA775.

20+/-4 Pin is the best of both, meaning that you can disconnect the 4 pins if you want to use it on a 20 Pin motherboard, or leave it on for use on a 24 Pin motherboard.

Ah, gotcha...

Now as far as recommendations go - I'm having a tough time finding specs that meet the video card's requirements of "A minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 20A or more)". See http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814143046

When I search for power supplies, I see output specs like 12v@18A.... That's what it's talking about, right? So I need on that has an output setting of 12v@20A, yes?

Geoff

VIP Member

widemind

LOL! I was just about to suggest that one.

I too use it in my rig.

Nice!

Can't wait to get all this new crap I just ordered - new sound card (x-fi), new video card (7800GS), and now a new power supply... Should be getting it all by Wednesday. :)

Thanks again you guys!
Adam

Geoff

VIP Member
Nice!

Can't wait to get all this new crap I just ordered - new sound card (x-fi), new video card (7800GS), and now a new power supply... Should be getting it all by Wednesday. :)

Thanks again you guys!
Adam

No problem, hope it all works out well.

widemind

Just wanted to pop in real quick and thank you all again. Got all my stuff installed and it's running like a CHAMP!