20 pin psu with 24 pin mobo. Help!?!?!?!

I have a motherboard with 24 pins but and old 350 watt power supply that has 20 pins. I checked tigerdirect and they sell the 20 + 4 to 24 cable adapter. I have seen online a 24 to 20 adapter that is used for converting your 24 pin psu to a 20 pin motherboard the opposite of what is happening to me. I also heard that if you connect your 20 pin to a 24 pin it will fit but I dont want to try because I think it wont have the 12 volt. I have found a Diablotek 350 watt psu for $25 with free shipping and a coolmax one for the same price. What should I do buy a psu, use an adapter, or just put in on.

Eddie Haskell

Depening on the PSU (the newer the better) there should be a 4-pin that simply plugs in next to the 20-pin. this isn't true on older PSU's.
I had an older PSU I was trying to use on a more current mobo but the 2 plugs wouldn't fit into the mobo, on my new PSU it worked the same way (2 plugs) but they fit perfectly... it's kind of idiot proof, if they fit it will work, if not keep looking.

I have a 4 pin connector but its for the processor. I dont have two on my psu.
Would it just be worth it to get a new psu its only like $30.

I just found the psu it is an Antec with 8 peripheral connecters,2 floppy connecters, 1 20 pin ATX, 1 4 pin processor connecter, and one i dont know.

Rit

First read the motherboard manual and read if it supports just 20 pin, I have an MSI that supports both and just depends where you place the 20 pin in the 24 pin slot.

Paul17041993

You should actually be able to just connect the 20 pin connector directly onto the 24 pin mobo connector, as for a 4pin or 8pin cpu connector; you can just use an atx 4 pin cpu connector

all good mobos should have the voltage lines bridged for stability so you shouldn't have any problems

Extract from: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=15268

atx1_small.jpg

If your motherboard has a big 8 pin connector instead of the usual 4 pin connector and your PSU only has one 4 pin connector, do not worry. Just plug in the 4 pin connector where it fits there. The extra four pins are for very demanding systems to ensure stability and are usually not needed.

atx2_small.jpg

If your motherboard has a 20 pin connector and your PSU has a 24 pin connector (or vice versa). Just plug the connector in and it will work. The extra four pins are for additional power which might not be needed. Your system will still work fine.