$200 Casual MicroATX build

Quickpaw

Right my bad I forgot I would get Sata cables with the mobo.

As the title states its for casual use, pretty much checking email and websurfing, and the occasional flash games my mom finds online. Its for them not me.

As I said the psu is covered. Its not the best brand in the world but I've worked with the same model doing repairs and they're reliable enough for this cheapy machine.

Quickpaw

Again, dont worry about the PSU.... unless you're asking what PSU means, in which case it means Power Supply Unit iirc.

Tweaked my order to the case and disc drive you posted, both of which I prefer over the ones I saw. They saved me a few bucks on shipping but it still puts me back another 50 bucks to ship to canada, which isn't unexpected.

Compatibility ok? I'm pretty sure it all checked out but never hurts to have a second set of eyes.

claptonman

Would go for a dual-core APU compared to a single-core. Same price. Would be the better way to go if you never wanted to upgrade.

kdfresh09

i strongly recomend that you take a look at this motherboard. it has 4 ram dimms, more expansion slots, and is of better quality in my opinion. it also has more sata connection, better options for video outputs, plus its cheaper. only $77 inc shipping, compared to the msi board thats $80 inc shipping. then you could grab the g-skill ram (2 x 2 gig sticks and have dual channel), and still have two more open for possible upgrade in the future.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128555

evrything else looks good, even that cpu. its a sandy bridge core, and is a dual core, so it will be faster than the apu that was recomended to you, although the apu would maybe have the edge on the graphics side, but this is unimportant since the intel graphics will do what you want it to. the only real differences in the celeron, pentium, then "i" series cpu's is that the higher you go up in cpu classes, you gain more l3 cache, then more cores, then hyperthreading. but the cores are all based on the same design (sandybridge) so you get better core performance over any amd chip at same or slightly higher clock speedds.

other than the board though, i think it looks good. let us know what you decided on

Last edited:

kdfresh09

i still say go with the intel set up. granted the apu linked above does look good, sticking with the intel will give him way better cpu's to choose from should he ever need to upgrade anything in it. i know he said that he wont need to upgrade ever, but who knows. but, really, either way if he goes with the intel or that amapu linked above, he will be happy and his parents will deffinatly like it

wolfeking

banned
that is still $50 with shipping. And Jonny, you have to look at the weight of the item too. Most cases carry between 8 and 20 in shipping charges, even stateside.

Quickpaw

Sticking with the Intel CPU. I wanted to use the 1155 socket just in case as was mentioned before, and not looking for any edge video-wise, this thing will hardly get used.

Sticking with the Rosewill case for now because the ports on the case you recommended are on the side of it. I didn't mention this but it will be sitting in a desk unit and space is tight, meaning any ports on the case would have to be top or front, no sides.

Changed over the RAM and mobo, and I feel better about getting GSkill memory anyways.

I'm feeling pretty good about it now. Just gotta find the spare change and time to invest in it.

Thanks guys! Feel free to keep posting if you'd like of course