2009 Vaio SSD recommendation

yairisan

Hi, total novice here, more or less.

In looking at upgrading to SSD on the titular laptop, I notice websites such as Crucial, etc., have search engines for recommended drives for given models. Other than the SATA 2 vs 3 issue (in my case, as I understand it, all I need it a SATA 2 since the Vaio is old), are there any other factors I should consider, i.e. is it possible that certain drives wouldn't work for any reason, or are they all pretty much one and the same except for slight size and performance differences?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Don't even get a sata 2 at this point. Eventually you can put into a new system anyway and it will still work fine in a sata 2 system. Samsung 860 evo would be my pick but just depends on how much money you want to spend.

beers

Staff member
As per John, what budget are you working with?

SATA 3 SSD are backwards compatible, the new ones have all been SATA 3 anyway, you'll just see sequential speed topping out around ~275 MB/sec as a result of the 3 Gbps SATA 2 interface.

yairisan

As per John, what budget are you working with?

SATA 3 SSD are backwards compatible, the new ones have all been SATA 3 anyway, you'll just see sequential speed topping out around ~275 MB/sec as a result of the 3 Gbps SATA 2 interface.

Thanks for the info.
Don't even get a sata 2 at this point. Eventually you can put into a new system anyway and it will still work fine in a sata 2 system. Samsung 860 evo would be my pick but just depends on how much money you want to spend.

As little as possible, really! The Vaio will be relegated to simple Word/editing tasks and light browsing at home as it still beats even our new XPS 13 in the keyboard department, also runs Windows 10 fairly happily, and has built-in Blu-ray/HDMI out (which still gets mileage). Not quite ready to dump it yet, as it sports a few things the XPS doesn't (as happy as I am with the latter). I can see how the SATA 3 suggestion would make a better long-term investment as it could be transplanted at a later date. Good point, which I'd not considered.