2600k Or 2700k?

Mr.Moose

I recently upgraded my GPU and I'm now looking to upgrade my CPU. I know Ivy bridge recently came out, but it seems they don't overclock as well as Sandy bridge, which is what I'm mainly looking for. Just curious if it's worth it to spend a little extra on a 2700k over a 2600k? I'm looking for around a 4.8 - 5.0 GHz overclock, somewhere in that region. I also plan to get a H100 which should fit nicely in my 650D, or the D14... Is it true that 2700k's are "cherry picked" for better overclocking / stability? Or just some marketing BS? Could anyone wit 2700k's tell me what overclocking performance they're seeing? If they have to touch voltages etc. -- It'd be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading, have a good one

Last edited:

claptonman

What are you using the computer for? If its mainly a gaming machine, go for an i5 2500k or 2550k. You won't use those extra threads in games.

For the 2700 vs 2600, I don't think anyone knows if what they claim is true, unless you're an engineer for Intel. I would just go for the 2600k/2500k.

Mr.Moose

Thanks for the quick reply by the way. I'm mainly upgrading as I believe I got slightly screwed over with the "overclockability" of my 2500k. I can only get around 4.3 before I have to raise my voltages considerably, making it heat up considerably as well. From what I've seen a 4.8+ overclock on a 2600k/2700k seems fairly achievable, which is what got me interested. I use my computer for a wide variety of applications, gaming, photo editing, streaming, and soon light video editing/rendering.

I see on Amazon a 2700k is 11 cents more than a 2600k :)

claptonman

I guess I should look at your sig...

2600k is only $300 on newegg. Not bad.

What do you have for cooling? Just stock for now, and you plan on going to a H100 or D14?

Weird that your i5 can't overclock as good. What is high voltage to you?

Mr.Moose

I guess I should look at your sig...

2600k is only $300 on newegg. Not bad.

What do you have for cooling? Just stock for now, and you plan on going to a H100 or D14?

Weird that your i5 can't overclock as good. What is high voltage to you?

For cooling I currently have a hyper 212+. And yes, I planned on getting either of those coolers (H100 or D14) if I were to go with either a 26/700k. At stock voltages a 4.3 GHz OC's stability was mediocre at best. I'm not currently at home, but I think I had to bump the voltages up around 1.5 (Don't quote me on that) to get it past 4.3 if I remember correctly. Which with a hyper 212+ I wasn't really comfortable with, or with any cooler really.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Mr.Moose said:
I see on Amazon a 2700k is 11 cents more than a 2600k
If the 2700K is just 11 cents more than a 2600K, I'd spring for a 2700K and overclock it. An overclocked 2700K should be all you need and more for a long while. :D

Mishkin

I would go for the 2700k, $20 be damned. You obviously want it for enthusiast/overclocking reasons rather than a need for more performance since you already have a 2500k. Your call...can you swing an extra $20 for one of your hobbies? I would.

spirit

Staff member
He said the 2700K is actually only 11 cents more, so yeah I think he can definitely afford a 2700K lol. :D

Mr.Moose

He said the 2700K is actually only 11 cents more, so yeah I think he can definitely afford a 2700K lol. :D

11 cents more on Amazon when I checked. As Claptonman pointed out though it's going for $20 less on Newegg. And also, @Mishkin I'm mainly upgrading due to the fact my 2500k doesn't overclock relatively well. I was planning on selling my 2500k to buy another one, hoping I got one that would overclock better, but decided I'd rather use the 2500k to pay for roughly half of a 2600k/2700k and make up for the rest out of my pocket as they seem to have higher overclocking potential on the whole.

Edit: Also, anyone think the Cooler Master TPC 812 looks good? Over the H100 or D14? I know the H100 will provide better cooling, but I'm kind of iffy on WC, and The Cooler Master's around 40 dollars cheaper.

Last edited: