2700x vs 8700k for editing and file copying only, no gaming

jamesd1981

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on which base for my system, the 2700x & 8700k seem fairly close in terms of performance, but significantly different in terms of price.

After using Intel only for over a decade, I am some what reluctant to try AMD again after so long without using any of their products first hand.

I will mainly be using the system to edit 4k video from a Nokia 8 and hero 7, preferably rendering using H.265 and large amounts of file storage and transfer.

Any advice appreciated

James

UnholyVision

It really depends on a lot of factors. What software do you plan on using on that note? Because you could even go the route of putting money into a GPU for GPU encoding.

jamesd1981

It really depends on a lot of factors. What software do you plan on using on that note? Because you could even go the route of putting money into a GPU for GPU encoding.

Well having a 4770k i think my base setup needs an upgrade, I do have a newer skylake unit but it is only an i5, so my main pc is overdue an upgrade

I use power director for video and paintshop pro & serif affinity for photo, i am thorough with my backups so will also do a lot of file transfer to and from different devices and drives

UnholyVision

From what I read up on a Power Direct 9 Review it has the ability to offset to AMD & Nvidia GPU's. (I know it's a higher version now, but searching only lead me to a decent review on 9). Plus it's multi-core capable. Honestly I would say go the 2700x and grab a decent GPU. I haven't found a support list or if it takes full advantage of Cuda cores. Personally I would grab something like a Nvidia GeForce GTX1080 Ti for the 3584 cores. Otherwise possibly a Vega.Of course if it's within your budget.

File transfer would be a smidgen faster on Intel if local, but still limited to the bandwidth of the type of cabled connection type such as USB. If cloud then limited to your bandwidth of your ISP.

jamesd1981

Thanks Unholy, after a lot of research I went for the 2700x with an Asus rog strix 470 gaming board and 16gb corsair vengeance led 3000mhz, can`t wait to get it built and start testing.